S385-36 for a 55 pound sash

A quick learner from Fort Myers, FL says:
I have an impact window manufactured by Lawson that uses S385-36 balancers but the window weighs 55lbs. Does S385-36 come in weight ratings greater than 35lbs?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
That's a very heavy sash! This may have to be custom made. Before we can continue, can you show me a picture of your balance? Specifically, I'd like to see a picture of the top and bottom nylon ends and the stamp. I'd also like you to confirm the width of the metal channel. Thank you!
A quick learner from Fort Myers fl says:
Attached are the photos of my channel balance. Please let me know if you need any additional photos.
Channel balance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
According to your stamp, 3540, this balance is made to support sashes weighing 23 through 30 pounds. I'm not sure why this was installed on a 55 pound sash. The window would slam shut as soon as you open it. Did you ever find that happen? Was this the original balance from the window manufacturer? We are still investigating the possibility of a balance that can support 55 pounds. That is very, very heavy.
A quick learner from Fort Myers says:
I just purchased my home and all of the channel balances on all the windows are inoperable so I am not sure how they functioned when they were operable or whether they are original equipment. I have a total of 8 sashes and two of them are in the same room as the sash in question which do weigh about 28lbs. It may be possible they were incorrectly installed which led to the window failing.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That is peculiar. I wonder if the original installers just put that same strength balance on every window in the house, regardless of weight.

Either way, we can custom make a balance that can carry 55 pounds. I just had a couple questions. First, can you confirm that this is for a lower sash? Can you also tell me how many you need?
A quick learner from Fort Myers, FL says:
This is a lower sash, non tilt, impact window. This is the heaviest in the house so I will just need 2, one for each side of this particular sash.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great, thanks. I'll email you a custom order link and price quote for two of these immediately.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.