S900 balances snapped when closing the last half inch

A professional from Uncasville, CT says:
I ordered S900-26 balances. I should have gotten 27" but I moved the installation down an inch to account for the difference in length. I hope these pictures tell the story. As I said to customer care when I called Wednesday AM, everything went well until we closed the window the last half inch. When we did that, both balances snapped.What is the problem.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sorry to hear about the problem. It definitely sounds like the balances are too short, even after you moved it down. That said, moving the installation hole down an inch should have made up for it. What is the exact length of the tube for the old balance? Can you also tell me the exact length of the inside spiral?
A quick learner from CT says:
Hi,
Thanks for the response. You asked for the exact length of the tube and the spiral.
The tube is 27 " and the spiral, (not including the part that holds it in place) is 26".

Hope this is helpful. Keep me updated, please.
Thank you,

Andy
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. If those measurements came up short when you closed the sash, then I would recommend our S900-27. This has a 27" long tube an a 28" long spiral.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.