Sash Cam (paired w/ S385-27)

A home owner from San Diego, CA says:
Hello,

I have received SWISCO S385-27 window channel balances and tried to replace them. But noticed right side of sash cam is broken and need the correct part to replace. Attached the photos of the left side with measurements (approx.) below.

width: 0.65 inch - front/back views
depth (top row width): 0.61 inch - side view
depth (middle row width): 0.43 inch - side view
height: 1.50 inch - front/back views

screw hole heights (to the approx. vertical center): 0.24 inch (top), 0.95 inch (bottom)  (no screw connected thru the middle opening of the cam)

Seems 18-008H and 18-188 are close but not exactly fit.

Can you help identify alternative or explain the 18-XXX code naming convention to the geometry for my reference?

Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash_cam_top_guide (right view).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash_cam_top_guide (left view).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash_cam_top_guide (front view).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash_cam_top_guide (back view).jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm not sure that I understand your last question. Our numbering convention doesn't have any direct bearing on any physical attribute of the part itself. These are more or less in sequential order to when they were added to our catalog.

That said, I believe you have a Milgard top sash guide that isn't made anymore. The best match is probably our 18-009 top sash guide but you will need to trim off the top plastic edges that stick out at the top. I know the top hole isn't elongated, but since it's nylon you can make it larger. I've done this before and found it to be an easy conversion that works perfectly for the Milgard non tilt window.

Thanks Paul for your prompt assessment and suggestion.
Hi, Paul:

I got installed the new S385-27 anda new top sash guide close to previous one broken - working well. However, noticed window glass got cracked in the edge which i believe was made when the sash guide was installed w/ screwing. Trying to remove the sash to apply glue to the crack but somehow it is stuck at take out clip level and would not lift upward any more. Any comments for help? It's working fine but would not come out stuck at take out clips when flipped.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul

When installing the new top sash guide, make sure to use the same hole as the old one. Using the wrong hole might explain the issue you're having. 

Regarding the sash being stuck at the top, pull out the left and right take out clips, then raise the sash evenly. It should now pass the take out clips and lock the balances in the track so you can remove the sash, by moving the sash to the left and swinging the right side of the sash from the track.

Thanks for prompt comments.

For the sash being stuck at take out clip level, earlier i thought i did something wrong when replaced the balance but trying other non-tilt windows in other rooms, noticed all same stop passing the clip levels (stuck there) when the clips are pulled out. Windows are all w/ the Milgard logo.

Any further comments, if available, will be appreciated.
Profile picture of Paul

I'm not really sure why that may be happening. If you pop out the take-out clips then they should catch the top attachment of the channel balance, preventing the balance from raising any further but allowing you to still remove the sash. They shouldn't just jam in place. Can you take a picture of your window where this is happening?

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.