Sash Guide Needed but also another piece broken.

A quick learner from FL says:
5/8" Top Sash Guide, Kinco
Product Code: 18-166

In addition to this needing to be replaced a piece of plastic on the sash also cracked off. I am attaching an image of it. Not really sure what it does or if it's needed. I think it was just glued on the sash. Do you sell this? Do I need it? Please see attached image.

Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window-Sash-Guide.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I think your labels are a little mixed up in your photos. The part you can't identify, the one that's on the top corner of the sash, is itself the top sash guide. Whether it's the 18-166 or not, though I cannot say. You'll have to remove it to confirm. These are just screwed in place.

The other part you point to is just the top fitting of the channel balance. Yours appears to be in good condition but it if is broken then I will need a clearer photo of it removed from the window in order to identify a match.

I recommend watching the videos I've related to this page. These should give you a better idea of what you're working with and what you need to do to identify the right replacement parts.

The top fitting of the channel balance is broken off. So in addition to the top sash guide, I will also need the top fitting of the channel balance. I can't send you a photo of it on the current sash because it totally chipped apart. The photograph I sent you is on another window. They are glued on and if I try to remove it, it will crack into pieces. Its just a piece of plastic and is not attached to the top sash guide. They are two different pieces.

I think the 1" measurement is really the only important part for this piece. It really doesn't matter how long it is or how thick it is. It's just glued on top of the sash. So, do you sell this?
Profile picture of Tom

I've never heard of a top balance fitting being glued on in any circumstance. I would triple check that, if I were you. These are commonly just riveted to the balance channel itself. If your top fitting is glued on, then someone installed it improperly. You would then have a whole host of other issues you have to address before you can repair this window. I highly recommend confirming this detail to be sure.

Either way, I can't really make a confident recommendation based on the picture above. Too much of it is obscured. It could be a match for our 19-005 or 19-002, but there are a lot of other possibilities as well. You can see our full selection here.

You can also see the proper method of installing these to the balance in the video below. I have to reiterate that no glue is involved in the installation of these parts, nor should it ever be. These would break after just a few minutes of operation if all that was holding them to the balance was glue. It's a really, really bad idea.

Hello. I am going to send you more photographs. It's two different pieces. We have the sash guide and this plastic guide that is glued to the sash. The glued part does not move it just helps guide the window in the channel (I think). On all my windows this plastic but hangs just a tad over the edge of the sash into the channel. It is NOT connected to the the sash guide. Please see attached photographs. I hope this better shows what I have going on.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named plastic-Guide.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash-Guide.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SashMissing.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window-Sash-Guide.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named working-Window.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for the additional information. If I'm understanding these photos correctly, it looks like you need a top sash guide, which we covered above, and the top cap of the sash frame.

We unfortunately cannot replace the frame of the window sash. I'm not sure that's something you can even purchase, you may actually need an all new sash entirely. If I were you, I would contact the original manufacturer of the window to see if that's something they can help you with.

It's not the frame of the sash that needs to be replaced, just that little plastic strip. The rest of the sash (the metal frame) is in perfect shape.
Profile picture of Tom

That strip is unfortunately part of the frame, even if it is removable. In either event, it is not something that we can supply. You will need to contact the original manufacturer directly.

Thank you.
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.