Sash Window Balance Springs labeled "CALDWELL"

A quick learner from San Jose says:

Hi

Need your help to identify the following sash window balance springs:

1) "29 5 JQ CALDWELL" [metal shaft measures 30" x 5/8" x 9/16"

2) "28 5 KP CALDWELL" [metal shaft measures 29" x 5/8" x 9/16"

3) "25 5 JQ CALDWELL" [metal shaft measures 26" x 5/8" x 9/16"

There are no other markings on the shafts besides the above. The PVC fittings at the end of the shaft are fixed, not slip-on type.

They are fitted in a home built in 1997. I'm not the original owner of this home so don't have any further documentation.

Thanks in advance

Sash Window Balance Springs labeled CALDWELL
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Greetings! We recommend you confirm that all three balances have the same top and bottom balance shoe attachments. There is no guarantee that they are all the same.

From what you are showing us here, you may want to go with our Series 380 or Series 385 channel balance, depending on the measurements of your balance shoe.
A quick learner from San Jose says:
Hi Mike

Many thanks for researching my question.

Follow ups:

a) What's the difference between the Series 380 & 385 ?

b) when matching weight of window to a balance, how many pounds over the window weight can a balance be ?
Profile picture of Tom
The difference between the two balances is the measurements of the shoe. I highly recommend looking at over the hardware on our site, we have detailed information for you to use as a reference.

You don't want the spring to be too strong. You can see a chart on each balance's store page that shows how much weight it can support. Once you have your sash weight, just look over that chart to find where your sash weight falls.
A home owner from Sandwich, Cape Cod Ma says:
I have some older double hung Jeld Wen windows that have spring balance with plastic ends, the bottom screws into the bottom of lower sash and has a plastic end that slides over a screw head to secure it. I am sure there are different lengths, as I had replaced my smaller bathroom windows which had a shorter length spring, if you do still have these type of parts, let me know and I will send pics and length of spring to you thks Don
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for reaching out to us. I can't think of a specific balance that screws directly to the sash, so at this stage I'm not sure what you have. Would it be possible to see a photo of the balance in question? Seeing it removed and undamaged would be ideal. I specifically need to see the top end, bottom end, as well as any stamps or markings that may be relevant. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.