Sash Windows are "Mastic", from the late 70's

A quick learner from North Carolina says:
The part in question attaches to a knob on the side of the window and is part of the mechanism that keeps the window in its track when the window is raised or lowered. You can see from the photo that it is broken such that the window no longer is kept in place and tends to fall forward once the latch is turned to the open position.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8689.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We can definitely help. The part in question is called a pivot shoe. Yours in particular may not be made anymore, but it's very similar in design to our 15-175. Look over our pictures and dimensions to see how well they line up.

A quick learner from North Carolina says:
I believe the old pivot shoe measures the same as item 15-175. I do not see a "coil balance" on my windows, anywhere. Will this function without that?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid not. The only function of a shoe is to give the coil balance springs a method by which they can support the sash. You see, the balance springs are what keep the sash up when you open it. The springs screw to the pivot shoe and then the pivot shoe cradles the sash. Does that make sense?

It's entirely possible your original coil balance springs were removed or lost in the past. That's not a big deal, we can easily suss out what you need. The 15-175 shoe is most commonly used with our Series 152 coil balance. While I can't be 110% sure that this is what you have without using the original as a reference, I still feel pretty confident that this will work for you. It's very unlikely that your window used anything else.

Now, you'll notice that the Series 152 has several weight options. To determine what you need, you simply get the weight of your sash and then divide that between how many springs will be used to support it. So let's say your sash weighs 20 pounds and you end up using 4 springs; you would want the S152-5, which carries 5 pounds each.

I highly recommend being as precise as possible when you get your sash weight. I've worked in this industry a long time and I've never seen anyone guess right. It's like counting jelly beans in a jar.

If your springs are missing then your spring retainers probably are, too. We recommend our 15-143 and 15-144 bushings, along with our 15-145 barrel. These sort of "sandwich"  over the spring and keep it stable in the track.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.