How to tighten sash balance

A quick learner from Danbury ct. 06811 says:
How to tighten up double hung windows
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Not all balances can be tightened up, so to speak. It depends on what you have. Can you show me a photo of the balance in question? You may want to show it to us out of the window. If you can't tighten it up then you'll have to replace it, and seeing it removed from the window will allow us to ID it.

We may need more photos after that, but I'll have to know what to ask for first.

Sash is. 36"x19 3/4 ". 6 over 6 wood 55 yr old. 1 1/4 in.sash, 5/8in balance wide. Need some instructions to flip camera  Jack

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-4/23/2020, 3:59:30 PM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-4/23/2020, 4:00:32 PM.png
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Jack. I can see your sash clearly enough, but not your balances. Can we see them, too, or are they missing?

These look like pretty old wood windows. There is a good chance we won't be able to supply the specific balances you need, but I really can't say for sure until I see them. Let me ask you: are they just exposed springs sitting in the jamb track? If so, then we definitely can't help. You'd need all new jamb liners in that instance. If that's what you have, I recommend contacting a local mill work who still makes wood windows for assistance.

If you have any other style, though, then we will need to see the original balances in order to give you advice. All I can tell you with these photos is that you have wood windows.

Hope this is ok, I am looking for up to date ones that would be a tighter fit to cut down cold from entering?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. I can see that this is a kind of tube balance, but the bottom part is cut off. That is an essential detail, since it shows us how it connects to the sash. Can you show me a clearer picture of that bottom end?

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.