Searching for SIL-1 window crank handle 2108

A quick learner says:

Good Afternoon,

Trying to find a replacement window crank for the SIL-1 model 7500/7550 bow window in the new house I just purchased. Attached are four photos of the broken original crank. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide in locating a replacement part.

Bill 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BAlexanderPhoto2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BAlexanderPhoto3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BAlexanderPhoto4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BAlexanderPhoto1.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we would like to see photos of the operator that the handle attaches to with the window open so that the arms that move the sash are fully visible. Once we can identify your operator, that will help us confirm which handles would be compatible. Thank you!

A quick learner from MA says:

Thank you Casey! I'll get some photos taken and post them a little later today.

Bill 

A home owner from MA says:

Hi Casey,

Requested photos have been uploaded this evening. Please reach out to me if you need photos of additional detail. Thanks for your help with this task!

Bill 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221019_150937.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221019_150616.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221019_150600.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. Your operator reminds me of the 39-430 and 39-429 Roto operators, though I can't tell if yours has the same 9-1/2" arm length. 

If all you need is the handle, see the 39-232 that is designed to install on an 11/32" diameter operator spline. 

Hi Casey,

I took a look at the 39-232 crank handle, and I don't think that will fit my operator, as it has a solid end where it attaches to the operator, however my crank handle has a hollow end. Also, in my broken crank handle the number "2108" is seen stamped into the handle. does that help us narrow down a replacement? Thanks for your continued help.

Bill 

Profile picture of Casey

It looks like the broken part of the handle is still attached to the operator spline, which I suspect may be where the confusion is coming from. You'll need to remove that piece and it should have an 11/32" diameter spline underneath that the new handle will attach to. 

Hi Casey,

Thanks for that additional info. How do I remove the broken part of the handle from the spline? I don't see any set screws or the like. Does it just get pulled off the spline with pliers or vice grips?

Thanks for your continued help.

Bill 

Profile picture of Casey

Yes, if there is no set screw then you should be able to pull the handle insert off of the operator spline. Using pliers or vice grips may give you a better grip but be careful not to accidentally pull out the spline from the operator base. Make sure to check underneath the insert since, if there is a set screw, it can be hard to see while installed. 

Hi Casey,

Yup, you called it! I had the inside part of the handle still on the operator spline, and it pulled off easily with pliers. I measured the spline and it was 5/16 plus a little, so I'm thinking it's really 11/32", so I ordered two of the 39-232 handles today. I have every expectation they will fit the spline on my operator and work just fine. Thanks for all of your help with completing this task! Happy holidays to you and yours!

Bill

Profile picture of Casey

Great! Just let us know if you need anything else and have a good holiday! 

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.