Searching for code 40638

A quick learner says:

The attached photo is if #1 keeper, (code 40638). #2) latch and keeper1/2 locked. #3 latch itself showing the inside area where the keeper rests and the keeper in the area above the sash.

This is from a discontinued Anderson Swing Line series. I received a replacement keeper, code

90-237 that is the correct thickness to rest in the area above the sash and comes close to being accurate except for the outer width of the keeper that is 1 5/8's. the original keeper (40638) is 1 3/8's outer width and 1' interior width. This allows it to fit inside the latch area that is 1 7/16's wide. See photo #2 & 3. I need a keeper that fits the dimension of 40638. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks for your assistance with this issue.

Gene

User submitted photos of a window lock.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Gene. The only thing that really matters with the Face Mount Keeper is the hole spacing, or the distance between the center of each mounting hole. If that matches the 1" as shown on the 90-237 product page, this should work for you. Additionally, the 90-237 is compatible with our 90-077A Sash Lock, which I suspect is interchangeable with your current sash lock. Take a look and see what you think. 

A quick learner says:

90-237 is too wide to rest inside of the latch that extends over the sash. As shown in figure 2, the keeper rests inside the latch left and right sides with an opening of 1 3/8s"

on the outside and 1" on the inside. 90-237 is 1 5/8" wide that results in it being too far from the latch to enable the latch to connect with the keepers tongue to complete the locking process. Do you have a keeper that is 1 3/8" wide" with the matching holes and thin like the 90-237 piece? If not, do you have a latch that will fit 90-237 and is close in size to the one shown in photo 3? Thanks for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Gene

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid we couldn't find an alternate version of the 90-237. If the main issue is that it won't fit in the prongs of your old lock, you could potentially use a lock that doesn't have any prongs. The 90-161 has a 2-1/16" hole center spacing and a 7/16" hole center offset. It also doesn't have any prongs so it won't interfere with the width of the 90-237.

If your hole spacing doesn't match that of the 90-161, let me know what you need and we can try to find it.

Keep in mind that there probably isn't one lock that was made to go with the 90-237. This is a generic part meant to work in a wide variety of windows. 

A quick learner says:
It ocurred to me that if 90-237 was created to replace 40638, due to the weak keeper design, then a new latch would have also needed to be created with a wider saddle to accommodate this wider keeper. can you find the new latch that was meant to go with this keeper? Thanks again for your assistance with this problem.
Gene Barbour
A quick learner says:
This window has two locks that secure it. I don't want to have a mismatch of hardware on this window or on any one window throughout the house. There must be a keeper that will fit this lock since it was such a large number of locks sold with this keeper.
Thanks for your help with this problem.
GeneBarbour
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, we have not been able to find an alternate version of the 90-237. It's possible your exact type isn't made anymore; it happens all the time in this industry. I am sorry that we cannot offer a closer match.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.