Sears Storm door handle set #40-043

A home owner from Wahoo, Nebraska says:

This is the exterior handle for our storm door. We have these handles on both of our storm doors, and both are broken. We have cobbled the one for the back door together so it is currently working, but now the one for the front door is broken and we cannot make it work no matter what. We really need two sets so that we can make both doors work as they are supposed to. Our storm doors are 1 5/8" thick, so we can't just go to our local hardware store for these. We live 25-30 miles from a larger city, but don't know where to look even if we could get there. We need your assistance in either providing these parts or locating substitute parts that would work. Thanks. Louis

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2048.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2050.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2051.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hopefully I can help! I am afraid your old Sears Storm Door Handle Set isn't made anymore. We do, however, have a substitute. Look at the 40-131 lever handle set with deadbolt. This is similar to yours, but without a key cylinder to unlock it from the out side. If you want key access, you would need to install the 40-058 lever handle with dead bolt. 

Now, your door is indeed pretty thick for a storm door. I still think these are our best options, but you may need to pack out the handles with washers to accommodate that size. Let me know what you think. 

A quick learner from Pueblo,co says:
Pictures from Wahoo Nebraska look exactly like our door. Description says for use on 1"-2 1/2" doors, ours is also 1 5/8". Please explain pack out the handles and why it could be necessary
Thanks
Ron
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! If your door is 1-5/8" thick then the 40-058 should be more than sufficient, since it can work on doors up to 2-1/8" thick.

What Bob meant by packing out the handle is that the newer style might not line up with your old keeper. The concern is that it might fall a little short. However, putting washers behind it will close the gap and allow the handle to interact with the keeper normally.

Keep in mind that this may not even be necessary. There's a good chance the 40-058 will work just fine as-is.

A home owner from Mount Laurel NJ says:
I need a handle for an old Sears Best storm door 1 & 5/8 thickness.
I spoke with a guy in pennsauken about it.
The handle at the top was the exact old handle.
Can you help
Thanks Karen ( print & mail )
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230726_215346193.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. If your handle is the same as the photos posted above, then the solution remains exactly as my colleague Bob described back in 2020. The old storm door set isn't made anymore, but the 40-058 can be used as an alternative. We also sell the 40-177, which is the same set but available in alternate color finishes.

Note that the replacement isn't a perfect fit; it's a substitute we've used in an effort to replace an obsolete part. You should expect some minor handiwork as necessary to get this working on your door.

A quick learner from Nashua, Nh says:
I was working at a house recently and they had the same door handle as the one shown above. would you be able to help me locate which one would be closest to the door or fit the measurements?

Thanks, John
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

If the original handle set matches the assembly shown in this thread, the 40-058 or 40-177 would be our best replacement options. You'll need to compare the dimensions below to the door specifications to determine if it could work for you and if any modifications might be necessary. Take a look and see what you think.

Alternate image for 40-058
Alternate image for 40-058

View of the back of the handle of the 40-058 storm door handle set
View of the back of the handle of the 40-058 storm door handle set

Inside handle of 40-058
Inside handle of 40-058

View of the spindle of 40-058
View of the spindle of 40-058

How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.