Seeking Lock for Caradco Sliding Glass Door

A home owner from Carbondale Colorado says:
I would like to key this pair of sliding glass doors. It now just has a lock from the inside only, and I want to open it with a key from the outside. Model is IGCC-CIG-3, IGMAC-C1G-3, 1-03. Opens from left to right ( facing door from outside). Can you recommend a locking system and is this something a lay person can install?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting SWISCO. Is your thumb lever on your inside pull centered? If so, consider the 82-310. If the lever on the inside pull is offset, however, you will need to replace the outside handle with one that will let you match that positioning. You could go with the 82-044 outside pull with an 82-315 Key Lock. Take a look and see what works best for you.

A home owner from Carbondale Colorado says:
Thank you for your quick response. I do not understand the question about inside pull being offset or not. Can you explain?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I'm referring to the thumb lever itself, not the pull. This is the little lever you flip up and down to lock and unlock the door from the inside.

There are three possible positions this thumb lever could have: top or bottom (considered offset), or centered. I cannot tell what yours is.

Basically, you want the new key lock to be in the same position as your thumb lever. Do you see that round punch-out in your outside handle? That's where the key lock would go. This means that your key lock can ONLY be centered, as long as you're using your current outside handle. If your thumb lever is offset up or down, then that won't work.

The solution to that is to get rid of your old outside handle and replace it with something like our 82-044. This handle allows you to install an 82-315 key lock in either the top or bottom (offset) positions.

Hopefully this makes sense.

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.