Semco 366 Argon 03-29-12 replacement balances

A home owner from Iron River, MI says:

we have a houseful of semco windows manufactured in 2012. They say Semco 366 Argon 03-29-12 in the corners. they are all working well except one has apparently come disconnected at the top ("s hook") area and now the side track slides down and the tensioner string hangs slack in the channel.

I watched your vid on replacing the side track but I don't see a way to remove front panel to allow me to remove the tracks of the installed window. I have some photos and a video to add, so will try to do that here, too. Thx.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's tough to make out what you have from these photos, but it looks like your balance uses the 15-233 knife lock shoe. This is not a standard option for most balances so if I'm right then this will have to be custom made. I would need to see a clear picture of the metal channel, stamp, and how it attaches at the top.

This would all require removing the balance, though, which you're having trouble with. If there's not a screw-off face then partial disassembly of the frame may be required. Sometimes these windows are designed without repair in mind; the manufacturer just drops the balances into the jambs during installation and seals them in. It's unfortunate, I know, but that's just what some window makers do. If that's the situation you're in then I highly recommend contacting a local professional do the job for you.

A home owner from Iron River, MI says:

Thanks, Tom.

I appreciate your reply and thoughts about what might go next. I am pretty handy and might pursue disassembling this if I can figure out how. It appears there is some type of "spring" shaped item in the top of the side track that previously may have been looped over the "s" hook. Maybe if I can open up a few cm's of the top of the side track, I can grab the "spring" and hook it back over the "s" hook at the top of the channel. (Unless you see some flaw in that logic.)

I have some video of the window, but the swisco site won't let me upload that. LMK if there's a different way it would work for you to see that. I'll also post some of the other photos I took that were not allowed in the initial limit of 5 images.

Thx again

John

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can offer some assistance. I've serviced this window before.

Your sashes should tilt in for this Semco 366 model. Once it tilts in, bring it down to unhook the sash from the blue shoe. Do the same for the top sash, as well. 

Being your windows were made in 2012, you might want to go down on each side of the vinyl jamb liner and wood trim with a putty knife to free it from any paint or varnish. Now carefully pull on the jamb liner from the window frame so you can un-hook the "S" clip from the jamb liner and slide the balance out from the end. 

It's a little trickier than the usual method but once both sashes are out it should just be a simple matter of prying the liner off.

Hopefully this information helps.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.