Series 390 Channel Balance

A quick learner from St. Augustine, FL says:
I have two more windows that need balance springs replaced, but these are jammed and are going to be hard to get out. I have forgotten how to measure them to find the correct size to order.

These are Jordan brand windows
#1 is 33 1/2" wide x 30" high
#2 is 45 1/2" wide x 30" high

With #1 I can see the balance spring housing on both sides is at the top of the slide track with the window itself closed.

With #2 the housing and spring are out on the right side but the cord is still trapped in the window. On the left side, the housing and spring are down beside the window.

Just getting the windows out of their tracks will be a problem. I suspect I need the 28" series for both windows. Last time the window was 45 1/2" x 30" and the S390-28 worked just fine. The #1 window that is only 33 1/2" wide may need something different.

I recall your directions were a big help last time, but I couldn't find them easily on your website.
Help!

Jack
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello again, Jack. It sounds like your top sash guides broke. These hold the balances in place, and when they break the balances shoot up to the top of the jamb track. We have a video on this that I think will be helpful.
You should also see our video on replacing channel balances normally.
A quick learner from St. Augustine, FL says:
I have removed the channel balances from both windows.

Regarding the top sash guides:
I don't think mine are your 18-033 item. Mine have a pot metal hook that engages the top of the channel balance assembly. Picture attached. If you can replace what I have, I want four of them. I can probably re-use the pot metal hook devices. They seem to be OK.

Regarding the channel balance assemblies:
The two windows are slightly different.
#1 33": The metal channel itself is 28 3/4" long
#2 45": The metal channel itself is 28" long

The plastic parts on either end are the same for both sets. The #2 45" window is a little heavier. Will that affect the spring setting or its strength, or is there not enough difference to matter?

Obviously, I want two channel balances for the #1 33" window and two balances for the #2 45" window.

If it means anything, the take-out clips in our windows seem to be much higher in the window than your example in the video.

I hope this all the information you need.

Thank you,
Jack
User submitted a photo of a top sash guide.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the extra picture and information. Could you confirm the measurements of your top sash guide? It's a little weird, but we may be able to locate something that matches.

I'm also a little wary about the balance that is 28-3/4" long. That is a very peculiar length. Could you show me pictures of these balances? I will need to see both the top and bottom nylon attachment. With that kind of length, I suspect you may have a special kind of balance that will need to be a custom order. I would also like to know what numbers are printed on each metal channel.
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify a replacement channel balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.