Shower door pivot hinge replacement

A quick learner from United States says:
After further investigation, it appears that the top has a metal pin, with the plastic Cap. The top hinge is in good shape.

If the lower pin is intact, all I would need to do is to change the plastic Pin Cap. If that is the case, are your experts thinking that the replacement Cap would probably not be as good as the original, even if it is the same dimensions? i.e. different material and would not last. P/N 21-100 actually looks like it is exactly what is in the top hinge assembly currently.

Or, most likely, your experts know that when I remove the door and look at the lower pin, it will be destroyed, and oh well.

My plan is to identify a replacement door, complete. Then, take the existing one apart and have a look.

Happy New Year
Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named mms_attachment_0_5060273bc63ff2d3f36c7d3065172359.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named mms_attachment_0_e1834f4d05770c0a03c6150874de73f0.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named mms_attachment_0_763755b3ace7533bd352a3054cfef47e.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named mms_attachment_0_29f17aebed9ddd133306c5c237393aa8.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hi Dave!

It looks like you have an older shower door with Aluminum framing around the glass. Most Shower doors today are the "frame-less" type. I'm not sure if you will be able to find your exact pivots for your door but see if you can find a name off of the door stating who the manufacturer was. If you can find the manufacturer or supplier they may still have parts for your door. 

If not, try the caps you found on the web site to see if they could work for you. I do believe the material should be close to the original pivot. Also, try using a spray lubricant to clear up that corrosion you show in your photo. Worst case scenario, you might need to replace the complete door. Thanks for contacting us!

A quick learner from California USA says:
I, too, have the same issue like Dave above. Likely the part is no longer available. We don't have the funds to replace the whole shower stall - two side glass with the door. Would I be able to replace just the whole bar holding the door to the frame. I've already taken my door apart and part of that frame. I am not able to attach any photos, as they are on my phone. Any pointers, would be great appreciated.

Thanks,
Janice

I'm not sure if you have a "long" bar running the length of the door or just a pin like the 21-026B. I don't think the bar would be worn. I would guess it would be a nylon cap or nylon bushing that needs to be replaced, though we can be sure without seeing the parts that you have.

A quick learner from Manitoba says:
The plain pan broke flush to the bottom of the shower door. How do I remove and install the new pan? Thanks for any help Taylor

I'm not sure what the best way to replace your particular pin would be. You would need to take a close look at the pin and the location on the door to see if there are any clips or screws holding the pin in place. If so, you should be able to push the pin out from one side using a tool like a slotted screwdriver once all of the clips are removed. 

Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.