Side of door jamb

A home owner says:
Hello - my front door has a noticeable gap where air comes through on the side. Strangely it is only below the latch on the lower half. Is there anything I can buy to prevent air flow or is it the way the door is hung?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey, thanks for posting. I have a few thoughts about this issue. One is that your door does not show any weatherstripping at all to begin with. I would think, being an entrance door, that it should have something to keep the cold out. Another thought is that your door might need to be adjusted. The door frame could be out of plumb, like you said. I actually had this problem with my front door at home were I had to reset the door frame to have the door close properly. However my door had weather stripping so it was not as noticeable as yours. 

In other words, I think whoever installed this door might have skipped a few steps. They didn't give you any weatherstripping and they didn't adjust it properly. For now, take a look at the 58-180 stick on type weather stripping. This seems to work without much of a problem on doors like yours, just make sure the door stop is clean before your apply the weatherseal. It uses adhesive to stay in place. Also take a look at the 58-184 foam corner seals. These are good to install at the corners to keep out the cold.

As for adjusting the door to make it plumb again, you will need to contact professionals to come out and do it for you, if it ends up being necessary. That's kind of a big project.

A quick learner says:
Do the 2" foam corner go at the top of door orbottom.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Our 58-184 foam corner seal can go wherever you need it to. It's adhesive backing allows it to install in many different types of doors in numerous different applications, as needed.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.