Simonton Double Hung Window Balance

A home owner from Michigan says:
Hi,

I need to change the coil spring balance from one side of one of the older Simonton double hung windows....the only markings I can find on one of the springs to identify the correct part are 405J.....I attach photo......

Many thanks,

Martin
A customer submitted photo of a coil balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Martin! You appear to have CertainTeed hardware. For the housing, take a look at our 15-156 Lance Spring Cover and our 15-157 Balance Drum. For the shoe, please take a look at our 15-192. Finally, for the coils, take a look at our S170-405 for the short spring, and our S171-405 for the long. Let me know what you think!
Hi Paul,

You are a genius, I have not got access to the property until October and wanted to order the parts.......I think it is only the coils I need as they got tangled somehow, I only got the 405 stamp from one coil.....are we safe in assuming that they would both be the same value (405), all be it one LONG and one SHORT tongue.......

Many thanks,

Martin
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, Martin. Actually, if only one of the stamps reads 405, the other coil may not necessarily match. Is there any stamp printed on your other coil? Your best bet would be to remove them from the shoe and give them a thorough examination, just in case.
Thanks Paul.....I will double check in October!
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.