Simonton Stormbreaker Plus 300VL Double Hung 36ins wide by 62 ins high.

A home owner from Miami says:
I need to replace the balance mechanism as well as the pin in one of the windows which fits in the shoe. I have 7 of these windows and am checking them all to see if any others that do not get opened frequently are broken.

These windows were bought in 2008 and fitted in a new house in the Caribbean. I put Miami as my address because that is where I will want the replacement parts to be shipped. I hope you can help me! Alan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window code.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window missing pin.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I recognize these window parts. You have an old Simonton brand coil balance system and pivot bar. These parts aren't actually made anymore, but I have a couple ideas.

First off, you want to use the 26-336 pivot bar. Simonton specifically made this to replace your old style bar and I am very confident that it will work for you.

The pivot shoe in your old balance assembly is where things get a little tricky, though. You can use our 15-192 Certainteed brand shoe to replace the old SImonton one, but it's important to note that the 26-336 pivot bar is not compatible with the 15-192 shoe. That means you need to reuse the old metal cam from the original shoe in order to get these two pieces working together. Hold onto them and don't throw them out!

Let me know if that solution works for you, or if you had any other questions.

A home owner from Miami says:
Hi Tom

Thanks for this. I will need a few 26-336 so am continue to check. I will also buy some spares.

In at least one case, the spring has come out of the white plastic housing one the balance mechanism. so I assume the whole balance unit needs replacing. I attach a pic to show the unit I will want - it has the three coiled springs inside it.

One thing not clear to me is that if I replace my broken shoes (unfortunately were do not seem to have the metal cams) with 15-192, what pivot bar can I use since 26-336 does not fit?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named spring come out.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

There is no other pivot bar that will fit. You will still need to use the 26-336, but you have to file down the top and bottom curves of the tip. Otherwise it will be too round to fit in the shoe. It's gotta be totally flat.

If you needed the springs and all, then see our 15-156 cover, 15-157 drum, and finally the Series 170 and Series 171 coil springs. The video below will also show you how all these parts work together.

How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.