Simonton left window dbl coil balancer

A quick learner from USA says:
I have single hung Simonton window left side double coil balancer broke. My question is one of the coils have a #3 stamped/ engraved in it , but the other coil stamp isnt visiblie. I recently ordered series 160 coils 3.5 & 5.5 lbs for replacement. Did I do the right thing? I was thinking the 5.5 goes on top and the 3.5 get located on the bottom. Am I correct?
coil
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I honestly can't say for sure. Your pictures don't tell me much, I'm afraid. Did the Series 160 springs at least fit? I just want to be sure these are the right springs to begin with. Can you also tell me the weight of your sash? And just to confirm, there are two springs used on either side, correct?
A quick learner says:
Yes, the coils did fit. There are two coil springs on each side. Here is what I received from Simonton Windows.: The balance sizes on this specific window is 35S
Profile picture of Tom
I'm afraid that number doesn't tell me the weight of the sash. I'll need you to remove it from the window and put it on a scale, then let me know what you get. Without any old stamps to go by on your one spring, this is the only way we can determine what would work.
A quick learner says:
Sash weight is 15-17lbs.
Profile picture of Tom
Hmm... well, the way you have it, the combination of springs would support 18 pounds. This would work just the same as our S160-4. Each of these carries 4.5 pounds, so four working together (two on each side) can also support a sash of 18 pounds.

Now, this is a bit heavier than what you have, but could still work. Two S160-3 (3.5 pounds) and two S160-4 (4.5) might be better, since that combo can carry 16 pounds. Ultimately, it's up to you.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.