Single Wheel Rollers That Don't Wanna Come Out!

A professional from Fort Worth, Texas says:

I have removed both the anchor and adjustment fasteners from the ends of the door, however the roller acts as if there is another (fastener) anchor possibly on the top of glass edge that prevents removal of the roller assembly? It also appears that the dust seal slots may also interfere with roller removal as they encroach into the opening but I think I could machine off to allow access if needed. I have pried on the roller assembly w/o any fasteners and it seems quite fixed so I cautiously stopped before I broke it. 

The roller unit appears to be diecast and wheel pivots for height adj. I'd estimate the wheel to be about ~1-1/8" dia. As a Mechanical Engineer this is quite surprising to me to be unable to remove roller assembly and hoping there may be some "trick" short of total door disassembly for replacement. 

Thank you for your time and your guidance is eagerly awaited! I believe the door was made by Alenco in Bryan TX (photo above) who is now out of business in that location.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named File_002.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named File_000.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named File_003.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named File_001.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named File_005.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello there! Hopefully we can help. I'm not immediately familiar with your door, but it looks like a fairly older model. That means there's a good chance you need to knock off the bottom rail in order to get the roller out. Once the fasteners are all removed, you can use a mallet and block of wood to firmly, but gently, tap the bottom rail off. That should allow you to access the roller assembly.

You just have to be careful, you don't want to damage the glass or anything. As long as you take your time you should be okay.

A professional from Fort Worth, Texas says:
Hello Tom,

Thank you for your help/guidance. Removing the bottom rail, should the "T" mold/seal that seals the glass to the rail be removed first? The "T" seal has a very firm grip on the glass and subsequently the bottom rail. Is some sort of penetrating lubricant every used to help release this grip, if so any suggestions?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

That weatherstripping channel is part of the patio door sliding panel. It cannot, and should not, be removed. It also shouldn't interfere with getting the bottom rail off like Tom recommended. If you take the screws out of the lower ends of the patio door stile then you should be able to tap that rail off. 

How to replace the 81-013 and 81-014 Silverline patio door rollers
How to replace the 81-013 and 81-014 Silverline patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO 75-077 Slider Slicker Track Lubricant
SWISCO 75-077 Slider Slicker Track Lubricant
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.