Sliding Closet Door Inquiry

A home owner from Fair Oaks, CA says:

Hello,

I want to install MDF sliding doors (non-mirrored) in my master bedroom closet. Currently, there are no doors, but there is an upper track (see attached photo) which doesn't appear to be designed for a hanging roller mechanism. Your bottom-mount roller mechanisms for mirrored wardrobe doors are along the lines of what I'm looking for. Can you recommend a specific product for my application?

Thank you,

Richard B

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Richard. That track looks similar to something like our 23-244, which is made to work with top rollers like our 23-222C. That said, without knowing what the old doors used, this is just an educated guess. Look it over and see what you think.

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the assistance. The 3-1/8" width of the upper track installed in my closet is identical to your p/n 23-244 (the track is deeper at approximately 2-1/4"). I have no idea what type of doors were installed originally. If I understand the description correctly, your p/n 23-222C is designed to be mounted directly to a mirrored wardrobe door and does not appear to hang in the upper track. If so, what supports the weight of the door? And will this top roller only work on mirrored doors?
Profile picture of Tom

The top rollers for mirror doors are really more like guides. They don't support any weight; mirror doors are way too heavy to have their weight supported from the top. Those rollers would rip right out.

Instead, mirror doors are supported by the bottom rollers/glides. Top guides like our 23-222C merely keep the door straight and steady in the track.

I appreciate the information. Just to clarify, if I don't want to go with mirrored doors, do you have a product that would allow me to use standard MDF closet doors working with the existing upper track?
Profile picture of Tom

Our 23-222C could theoretically be used with other kinds of doors, as they have the ability to be screwed on, but they will still require matching bottom rollers and a bottom track. You cannot use your existing track to hang doors, if that's what you were looking to do.

Okay. Thanks again for the clarification. If you have a track and bottom rollers that will work with standard MDF closet doors please provide your part number(s).
Profile picture of Tom

That's a little harder to say. There technically isn't any such thing as a standard door. Most manufacturers use different hardware from door to door and there's no predicting what they once used without the original parts as reference. 

I mentioned that you could have had our 23-222C top roller based on the design of your top track. The problem is that this top roller has been known to work with the 23-041 bottom roller, but I've also seen it used with the 23-028, 23-225, and others. 

You can check out our entire selection of mirror closet door rollers here. As you can see, there are a ton of bottom rollers. One major detail to keep in mind is whether you need a roller with a concave or convex wheel. If you had your old bottom track, I could perhaps narrow it down a little further, but there's still no guarantee I'd be right. 

Ultimately, without any of the original hardware to use as a reference, the best I can do is guess. I'm sorry I cannot offer a more confident recommendation.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.