Sliding Door Lock

A quick learner from Bloomington Indiana says:

I am looking to install an outside handle door lock on my Pella Sliding door. I uploaded pictures hoping it might help. I put the door in 4 months ago, its a 72x80, I bought it a Lowes. I bought a Schlage door lock, which fits into the handle, but the screws to re-secure the handle do not line up. I need help and guidance and product that will solve the issue. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

David

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Ericson Pella Sliding 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Ericson Pella Sliding 2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, David. I feel very confident we can get you a working lock on this door. Before I recommend anything, though, I need more information.

To start, please show me a clear picture of the mortise lock. Seeing it out of the door would be ideal but anything you can get me will help. I need to make sure that whatever key lock we end up recommending to you will be compatible with this mortise.

Secondly, you mentioned that the hardware you bought didn't align with the screw holes of your current handle set, but you didn't mention what your screw hole spacing was. Please measure that for me and tell me what you get. Make sure to measure from the center of each hole, not their edges.

Finally, I'd like you to remove the exterior handle from the door and show me a picture of the hole pattern underneath. I need to see the position of the hole in the door where the key lock will go.

A quick learner from Bloomington Indiana says:
Hi Tom,
Screw hole distance is 3 15/16 inch center to center. Picture 1801 shows the holes for mounting the handle screws (sharpie and screw drive also marking which ones are used. Picture 1746b shows hole pattern from the outside. I am trying to key this to a Schlage lock set so one key fits all of my doors. My door is a Lowes bought Thermastar sliding patio door with the blinds inside it.
David
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0316211741.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0316211742.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0316211746b.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0316211801.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0316211746b.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks so much, David, these pictures couldn't be better. So, it looks like you'll have to get a new exterior pull if you want a key lock. Your current exterior pull has a centered punch-out, which would ordinarily be where you accept the key, but the hole pattern on your door can't accommodate a centered lock. The holes are offset to the top and bottom.

So, with that in mind, I recommend using our 82-044 exterior pull as well as the 82-315 key lock. These should be fully compatible with your mortise and the interior handle you have already. The video below will go into more detail explaining how these two parts work together.

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.