Sliding exterior doors

A handy person from Memphis, TN says:
Hi. The pics represent one of 6 sets of sliding aluminum doors of various sizes in my house. I also have a sunroom that has 6 sets around the perimeter. My house was built in 1962 and since then most latches on the doors have broken. I have dismissed trying to replace the latches as some of the framework does not meet the latch just right. I have resorted to laying PVC into the tracks. We plan to replace them all one day but in the meantime I was looking at the 80-014 and/or the 80-008 as an economical lock. Would either of these work as an add on? None of my doors have either.

Thanks for your help,

Shane
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Shane. Yes, people do install these types of locks to their patio door as added security. I find that you must be careful not to drill into the glass or, in the case of the 80-014, you have to make sure not to also drill into the door roller.

I myself like to use our 80-006 patio bar lock. I have found it easier to install. There are fewer problems with installation.

You mentioned that your latches on the door are broken. If you want, you can send us some photos of them and maybe we can identify the parts needed.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.