Sliding glass door handle lock

A quick learner from Portland, OR says:
The plastic interior piece has broken off the lock and unable to release the lock and open the door. Is there a way to get the handle off without damaging the handle?
I's appreciate your response ASAP as I cannot access my deck at this time.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4903.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4902.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4901.JPEG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If the door is stuck in the locked position, then remove it it will be a little troublesome. Your first step is to see if you can get a flat-head screwdriver into the hole where that thumb lever went and try turning the mortise manually.

If that fails, then your only option may be to cut the mortise off. This is not a small project at all, since doors are designed specifically to prevent you from doing this (for obvious security reasons). I would highly advise contacting a local professional, like a locksmith, to come out and review the issue.

A quick learner from Portland, OR says:

Tom:

Thank you for your suggestion. I was able to remove the handle with some difficulty.

Can you please help me identify the correct replacement handle for this door?

I am assuming the up/down latch is more up-to-date than the old one I had.

AEOLUS 850 SGD AAMA/NWWDA 101/I.S 2-97

SGD-R20-96x96

I'd appreciate your help in expediting this order.

Please call me if the replacement requires more conversation,

Thank you,

Larry

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4904.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4905.JPEG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure thing, Larry. So, this handle style isn't something that we can supply. The good news is that looking at the internal mechanism, I feel very confident that you can use our 82-030 as a replacement.

You'll note right off the bat that our thumb lever isn't in the same position as yours. Rather than being mounted above the pull, it's right in the middle of it. However that won't make much of a difference in your case since the spindle that actually goes inside the mortise is still centered on your original. That means the contact point between handle and mortise is identical between your old set and our new 82-030, despite how different they may appear. 

Looking at your mortise, I would suggest the 82-239. Just make sure that the dimensions all match up.

Hole center dimensions for 82-030
Hole center dimensions for 82-030

Alternate image for 82-239
Alternate image for 82-239

How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.