Sliding glass door latch

A quick learner from Alameda CA says:
Hi
Our sliding glass door has a slider bar mechanism that engages the lock/ latch that has fallen out. The lock latch still works but I have to manually put the slider back in to engage the lock. Two of the photos show the slider bar in and out. It's an old door from 1963 and that may be the original locking mechanism. Let me know if there is a viable replacement. Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 49535D0F-93F8-4F4A-86B5-61D83FD3F5CC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 186CAE98-07B8-4B22-936F-2A46E1B8E4A0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0CBEEE38-67D0-4E4D-8013-64753D32D17D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 52B4D752-9EC4-4418-B5CC-FEADB4F5CC24.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your original handle is unfortunately just a little too old. The only thing that we can recommend is an all new replacement handle set, like our 82-030. This should be compatible with your old mortise but it would require drilling new holes to install. Look it over and see what you think.

Hole center dimensions for 82-030
Hole center dimensions for 82-030

Dimensions for 82-030
Dimensions for 82-030

Hi
These 2 photos are not giving me enough assurance that this is the correct door handle. Are there more photos you can send? As you can see, our door handle latch is inside the window frame while the slider bar is on the handle attached to the outside of the frame. Is this how your option works? Let me know iif my query makes sense. I would hate to order the new handle and have to send it back.
Thanks Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Tom. To be clear, there is a good chance that you will have to send our handle back regardless of how it works. I have to stress that your original door is very old and I don't think anything like your original set has been made in a long time. The 82-030 is my best guess, but it is by no means a guarantee.

Looking at the first picture I send you, the handle on the right is the interior pull and the handle on the left (with its backside facing the camera) is the exterior pull. That's really all there is to it. 

I'm not sure what other photos we can send you that would help, since these have such a simple function. They just screw to the door on either side while the thumb lever engages the mortise. There isn't anything else to it.

I know for sure that that last part will work; your mortise appears to be a match for our 82-218, which is fully compatible with the 82-030 handle set. However it's the "screwing to the door" part that I'm not sure about. Like I mentioned before, you very well may have to drill new holes in the door to get this to work, assuming you don't have the same 3-15/16" hole spacing, and even that isn't a guarantee.

At the end of the day, you will have to make the final judgement. Trying to repair older doors like yours is unfortunately always going to be a gamble.

Thanks Tom

The extra explanation was super helpful. I have a better mental visual if the functionality of the handle. I'll go ahead and order the part.

I really appreciate you taking the extra time .

Warm regards

Kevin

How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.