Sliding glass door wheel assembly

A home owner from Canada says:
Wheel supporting our sliding glass door system has failed. We have been told by a glass company these parts are no longer available. We are hopeful after you have seen these photos a replacement can be recommended. Thank you.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E1ED09EF-8D79-4A6F-837D-B67A0E863C75.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3538.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience during this busy season. You are correct: these rollers aren't made anymore. The only thing we may be able to help with is the wheel. Would you be able to just replace that and reuse everything else? If so, please tell me its diameter and thickness and I will see if we have something in the size given.

A quick learner from Alberta Canada says:

Hello Tom, hoping you would have the wheel assembly was a long shot given the age of the mirrored doors. The doors have performed well for over 20 years. In answer to your question the wheels are 1.25 inches in diameter with a thickness of 5/16 inch. The width including the built in axel is one inch. Thanks for your help, Michael

Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. Our 81-228 is 1-1/4" in diameter and 5/16" thick. This is usually only used on patio glass doors, but since it's the same size then it may be your best bet.

Hello Tom, your replacement wheels are perfect but my axle is one inch as my wheels is positioned on the outside of the bracket. You don't happen to have one inch axles ?
In any event if i was to order 2 kit #'s 81- 266 I would try to modify to make things work.

Are you able to ship to Canada? If not I can have you ship to a friend in California. I really appreciate your help, Michael Okrusko
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that we do not have an axle in that size, but you may be able to rig up something using parts from any hardware store. It won't be pretty, but if you're handy then it may be serviceable. 

We do ship to Canada, yes! You can see our shipping policy here.

Tom, I think your your wheel repair kit 81-266 would provide enough parts to make a repair to my doors however your web site indicates the kit is out of stock. Can you confirm this is correct? If out of stock do you have any idea when it will become available? Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA for these parts. Our chains of supply have been backed up for months due to the quarantine. I can only promise that we're trying to get these back on the shelves as soon as we can.

I appreciate the circumstances your company is dealing with during these times. Instead of waiting for the "kit" to be restocked I ordered some of the wheels which are still available and will try to invent a solution. Thanks for your help. Stay safe and vote. Mike 

How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.