Sliding glass door wool weatherstrip

A handy person from Florida says:
The dark looking weatherstrip is the original and appears to be in a track that is closed at the top and bottom. The other 2 pictures show the track empty and what the top looks like. Bottom is the same. So I am not sure how to slide a new one in unless you have one that is self adhesive.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 522A71F9-B2C7-456C-A923-8C64C4A88E80.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I hate to tell you this, but it's almost impossible to replace wool pile weather stripping in a patio door master frame. It requires you to remove all the doors, unscrew the frame and pull the frame out of the opening. Then you have to take the frame apart to slide out the old wool pile to get the size you need. It's a considerable project, if you're up to it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Like my brother said, this is a big project. This type of weatherstripping is installed in the frame before it's assembled. You might be able to sneak in the new wool-pile by inserting one leg of the pile into the groove of the frame and running the other leg of the pile into the other side of the groove using the back of a utility knife blade. It's worth a shot, anyway, but I can't guarantee if it will work for you. Try that and let me know what you think!

A handy person from Florida says:
I agree with your analysis of the problem. So how about if I could cut the of the track that holds the weatherstrip about one inch below the top so it is open and the groove is accessable. If that could be accommodated what weatherstrip could be used to slide in?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Being as though you are located in Florida, the temperatures there aren't too extreme right now , so you are able to do that. Take some photos of your part from an end profile and send us over detailed measurements. We will be happy to help locate a replacement.

How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.