Sliding/Tilt windows HELP

A quick learner from Horntown, VA "Eastern Shore" says:
We just bought a 2007 home 2500miles from where I'm used to living. 5 windows of an unknown manufacturer don't stay up. Some hinge part is broken and the twisty channel thing is snapped on at least one. We did manage to locate one "handyman" for the area who stopped by and said I needed to buy whole new windows. Even with the lousy pictures, can you identify the hinge part I need for most of them? Can you possibly guess as to the broken twisty thing and let me know if it's something I can read how to fix? We're pretty remote here.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Well, windows not staying is normally a sign of bad Window Balances, AKA "the broken twisty thing."

More specifically, it looks like you have Spiral Balances.

See if you can get the balances out of the windows and then take a few pictures of them.

Along with those images, please give us the length of the tube portion of the balance only, do not include the tip or the spiral portion with your length measurement.

Also, see if the tip of the balance (where the spiral comes out of the tube) is colored-- let us know the color.
A quick learner from Horntown, VA "Eastern Shore" says:
Mike, I apologize for the delay... life got in the way.

I have removed a spiral balance from one of the broken windows and determined it is 38 inches in size with a green tip. If only one side is broken, should I replace both as a precaution?

In removing the channel to access the spiral balance, a piece flew out at me. Please advise as to item and it's use, besides dodgeball practice.

Can you also advise as the part numbers on the sash side piece, and if I should replace the frame side piece?

Any suggestions as to how to get the shoe out of the window channel? I don't see any screws or bolts.

By the way, would the side piece replacement be a standard replacement for each of the malfunctioning windows or just for this one in particular?

Thank you your company and the internet for being so helpful. Other than finding the correct tools and techniques it hasn't been too terrible...of course I'm far from done.
A customer submitted photo of a window balance.
A customer submitted photo of a pivot shoe and pivot pin.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the pictures!

For the pivot bar, please take a look at the Swisco 26-326 Acorn Pivot Bar (you will need to try to reuse your current screws), and the 15-179 for the Pivot Lock Shoe.

As for the balance, since we do not carry a 38" Series 900, we can create a custom balance for you.

To get started, please fill out this Custom Balance Order Form.

After you submit the order form, one of our representatives will be in contact with you regarding the custom balance.
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.