Snap-in glazing bead for Alcan window

A handy person from Sarasota, Florida says:
Need to replace the snap-in glazing bead for some Alcan windows. They are too deteriorated to remove in one piece, so I cant see the profile. They crumble into pieces when I try to remove them and I'm concerned about the glass becoming loose if I take too much out. I have attached 3 pictures showing what the bead looks like installed. One shows the dimensions of the visible portion. Can you identify this glazing bead from these pictures? The 55-182 Grid Clips that you stock are correct for my windows if that helps. Thank you.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We don't have an exact match for this kind of glazing, but I believe that our 55-092 is similar. Take a look and see if you could get this to work.
Seems like many people in Florida have inquired about the exact same beading that I'm looking for. I appreciate that the closest match you stock is your 55-092, but has anybody given you feedback as to whether this bead actually worked for them? Have you been able to ascertain that 55-092 is a suitable substitution for the Alcan glazing bead that many of us in Florida are looking for?
Profile picture of Tom
Unfortunately, we have not received any official feedback at this time that it works. I am sorry we cannot give a more definitive answer.
Okay, I've ordered some 55-092 glazing bead strips with the hope that these will work for me. I will give you the feedback (yay or nay)that nobody else seems to have given you when I receive and install them. Hopefully, this will help all the other people that have been inquiring about a suitable substitute for the bead used on these older Alcan windows. I'm guessing that most of these windows were installed in Florida about 20+ years ago.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! That would be a huge help. I appreciate any feedback you can provide regarding this part.
I received the 55-092 glazing strips today. It seems that the 55-092 is a marginal substitution for the original Alcan snap-in glazing bead that was used on my windows. The overall height of the 55-092 bead is slightly smaller (7/16" vs 9/16")which leaves a bit of the outside window frame visible on the inside. This discrepancy also effects the fit of my window grid, but not enough to prevent the clips from holding the grid in place. That being said, the 55-092 bead does work. Since the original Alcan style snap-in glazing is no longer being made, I guess this may be the closest thing anyone can get to the original. Good thing I have plantation shutters that completely conceal the window frame. This makes functionality more important to me than the less than desired aesthetic appeal of the new glazing, so I'll use it.

The 55-182 grid clip that I ordered was a perfect match to the original Alcan clips that I'm replacing. Thanks for your help Tom and I hope this feedback helps others who are trying to identify a suitable substitute for the glazing used in these old Alcan windows. Seems like there are quite a few.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you so much! This information is a great help for our staff. I will be sure to pass this comment along to any customer in the future who is considering this glazing.
A home owner from Winter Springs Florida says:
I have the same vinyl glazing (ALCAN window sticker photo attached) and the local glass shop gave me SAPCO 6' Snap-in Glazing Bead Product Code: 55-299. It is a different profile but works perfectly. Profiles of the original and new glazing attached. The 55-299 is a superior replacement and is the correct height. It also allows the mullion clips to be installed and taken out without breaking the glazing. I used a screen window spline tool to snap in the glazing and it was a breeze. This is important information for Florida homeowners in the Tuskawilla Orlando area. Most of the high end homes build in the 90's used Alcan windows
A home owner from New Smyrna Beach says:
To the Home Owner in Winter Spring. Could you please give me the name of the place you bought the glazing 55-299.
Thank you very much!
Claudia
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.