Snapped coil

A quick learner from Ewing, NJ says:
The upper sash will not stay closed, it falls down like dead weight. I've replaced the broken pivot bar/foot but have discovered that the coils coming out of the shoe on both sides of the window is snapped in half. Could you help me identify the which shoe and coil to purchase to replace the broken ones? Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 503C732F-BC57-4677-9962-34821A8E37F4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C19CC65F-1BF7-487E-B4C4-226F5723CF42.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F3C3DC2A-21EF-4561-B4CE-8EC7D7C7C9FC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5CA8D59E-93CE-4FF6-8575-819DFAD69649.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 06B195B3-140B-4585-8582-9B564D132EB1.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We sell two coil balance assemblies that may replace this, depending on size: see our 9/16" thick Series 161 and our 7/8" thick Series 210.

Thank you for your assistance. The 161 series works, however, I chose an 8 pound because that is the weight of the sash. It's fully installed but now my window will not stay open, it slams back shut. I will purchase the 5 pound coil balance assembly because that is the marking on my old piece. Is it possible to return the four 8 pound coil assemblies that I just purchased?
I filled out the return request form and placed a new order for 4 of the 5 pound coil balance assemblies.
Profile picture of Tom

If the window will not stay open with the 8 pound option, then that means the 8 pounder is too weak. That also means that the 5 pounder will be even weaker, so that will not fix your problem. I wouldn't advise buying that weight option.

I recommend that you weigh your sash, instead. The rule of thumb for these balances is to weigh your sash on a scale and then divide that by the number of assemblies on each side; for example, if your sash was 10 pounds, then you'd want the 5 pound balance option.

Furthermore, you can see a more precise weight range for each Series 161 balance on their respective store pages under the Product Description. For example, the S161-5 states that a pair will specifically carry 9 through 10.99 pounds.

Either way, don't guess. Weigh your sash on a scale so that you know exactly what you need to buy.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I made myself clear in the last post. I'm trying to solve an issue with the upper sash. When I installed the 8lb option the sash would not stay open when I pull it down; it moves back up rather quickly. So I believe the 8lb option is too strong. There is a '5' printed on the the broken two coils which I am trying to replace. I believe I have a picture included of them. I did weigh the sash and it is about 9 pounds.
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to the bottom sash; that's my fault.

In that case, yes. The opposite of what I assumed is true. The 8 pound springs were too strong. The 5 pounder is a logical next step, due to the old stamp, but you still may want to weigh your sash just to be 100% sure.

The 5 pound worked. I appreciate your help. Problem solved.
Profile picture of Tom

That's great to hear! Thanks again for your business and please let me know if we can be of any future assistance.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.