Solution needed to fix/replace existing cam locks on enable locking windows

A home owner from Libertyville, IL says:

I was thrilled to see this opportunity to hopefully get help with my issue. 

I have five vinyl windows installed about 1904; I moved in last year. I have a problem locking the windows, as do, apparently, many other people in the building. The plate on the frame of the top window is a bit too far from the bottom window and this means the cam lock cannot reach it to engage and lock the window. I have to wedge out the tab on the top window to enable the cam lock to engage. 

The screws on the cam lock are centered two inches apart and 3/4 inch from the outside of the top of the bottom window. Loosening the cam lock helps a tiny bit but there is only so much play. With wedging out the tab I am afraid I will snap the tab or permanently bend it out thereby making it hard to open the window. 

If you really think I need to remove the cam lock to see the bottom, I will. I am just hesitant to do that.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5125.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5121.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I see exactly what you're talking about. These locks are mounted way too far back. I would wager that whoever installed these in the first place bought the wrong lock for the job and just decided to install them all anyway. The laziness of my fellow professionals continues to baffle me even after a decade in the business. I guess as long as the job gets done on schedule then they don't care what they put in there.

The good news is that we have two options with a much more generous backset. 11/16", to be exact. See our 90-274, which has a 2-1/4" hole center spacing, and the 90-278, with a 2-1/16" hole center spacing. 

I think one of these two parts is going to be exactly what you want. I highly recommend triple checking your measurements just to be safe, though. Make sure to only measure from the center of each hole, not their edges, when determining the spacing. Also measure from the edge of the window to the center of the screw holes to see if the backset is the same.

I have my fingers crossed that 11/16" is the magic number. If it differs, let me know and I can see if we have anything closer.

Tom,

You made my day.

I will most definitely give this a shot. The 90-278 lock looks exactly the same as mine except for the hole placement being further back.

Thank you.

John 

Profile picture of Tom

Happy to hear it, John. Please let me know how it works out or if you run into any issues. We're always here to help should you need it.

The part Tom suggested to me works great. Unfortunately, in order to make my preexisting improperly placed cam locks work, I had to bend out the keepers, and they now interfere with the operation of the windows. Most of them. I need new keepers to match what I have because I suspect they will break if I try to bend them back. Below are photos. The screws are one inch apart center to center. Thank you for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 884AD662-7202-47B3-8E61-53DF42BF3ABF.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 227123C9-A503-42CB-AF27-631EA5CF51EC.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! I'm happy to hear the lock I suggested worked, though I am sorry about the keeper. I should have made a recommendation for that right off the bat.

With the hole spacing in mind, I have two potential suggestions: our 90-237 and 90-301. They may look very different at first glance but they're both compatible with the 90-278 lock and either could theoretically work. The only thing I'm concerned about is height. Make sure to review the dimensions we show in each case to determine which one--if either--matches the height of your old keeper.

Thanks again, Tom. I didn't expect to hear back so soon.
I ordered 90-237. It looks most like what I have.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, thanks again! Please let me know if you had any other questions. We're always here to help.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.