Spiral Balance

A handy person from NY says:
Hello,
Looking for help identifying the correct replacement part for my windows' bottom sash spiral balance. The top works fine on all but the bottoms do not stay up. I measured 23" for the length, not including the red tip down. The tip though hard to see in photos, actually has 2 sets of prongs, the upper clicks into the shoe, the lower I guess is just to grip with a tension tool. As you can tell from the photo, they appear to be 5/8". Please advise and thank you in advance for any help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1291.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1292.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1289.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1290.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. I'm afraid it's difficult for me to say what the balance's diameter is from these photos alone, and I'm a bit leery of any measurements from while the balance is still in the window. That said, if the metal tube not including the colored tip is 23", and if it's indeed 5/8" in diameter, then see our S600-29 S600-23. You will need a red tip option, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 7 through 29 lbs. Let us know if you have any other questions.

I follow all of that except why a 29" if it measures 23"? Just making sure I'm not missing something on how you determine which length to get?
Profile picture of Bob

Ah, sorry! My fault. I meant S600-23. I had just been dealing with a discussion about the 29" long balance, so it was a typo on my part. You're right, all there is to the length is measuring the outer tube. Apologies again.

Profile picture of Bob

You are very welcome. 

No problem, I assumed a typo. Thank so much for the help!
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.