Spiral Balance Assistance

A home owner from Florida, closely to осean says:
Hi,
I need to replace the balances on three windows. Current sizes are: L = 24", D = 5/8". Color tips could be blue (originally). A spiral rod was with double pins (I think so). I also added photos of bottom window bracket. The window sash size is 26" X 50".
Based on your color table I may be actually need black ones because weight of the impact window sash is 39lb.
What would be your recommendations?
Thanks for your help,
Victor
PS. Do you cary more rust resistant product than I have?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 98BB23A6-5064-4EBF-929C-49998DCA4772.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2D4B643F-FCDD-4AC7-B343-052DAABAD2EF.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 80EFA8B4-C168-48AC-A1AA-FD14373637B0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 73EC6EFD-1C9A-4520-80CD-2BA21E60D716.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Looking at these photos, it seems you have a mostly typical non-tilt window spiral balance. I believe our S500-24 will work for you.

Your tip color is a strange one. That looks like just straight up purple. Tips that were once blue, but faded over time, usually look a certain way, but I don't think this is it. I've never encountered this color before.

The good news is that if your sash is 39 pounds then the black tip color option for the S500-24 should work perfectly well.

Hi Tom! Thanks for your response.

You are right, the color of the tip is strange. It is also strange that for non-tilt windows balances like S600 with double pins were used. You can see a bracket on my photos. The gap for pins is 5/16". The same time size of pins of S500 is approximately 9/16".

I like to use S500-24 with black tip. So, I need to replace brackets. Is it good idea to use brackets 17-012?

Thanks for your help,

Victor

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for your patience during this holiday season. Looking at your old bracket a second time, it looks more like the 17-083. This is typically used with special sorta balances. Please give me a little more time to look into your options before you pull the trigger on this. I'm starting to doubt my original recommendation now; too many clues are stacking against us at this point. I hope to get back to you ASAP.

Profile picture of Tom

Hello again! I'm glad we gave this another look. It seems that purple is an actual tip color, but not for the Series 500. You have a very special, very uncommon type of balance designed for super heavy-duty windows. Before we go any further, I'd like you to confirm the exact weight of your sash.

I know you gave the weight as 39 pounds before, but according to my research a purple tip usually indicates a sash weight support range of either 47 through 53.99 pounds, or 54 through 60 pounds. That's much heavier than the weight you gave me. Please let me know for sure if yours is 39 pounds exactly, or if you're over. I just want to be 100% sure we get you the right hardware.

Hello! You are right, my bracket looks like 17-083. It is in good condition, but does not work with S500 balance. So I considered replacement of the bracket. See proof of weight on the photo. So, I am looking for your recommendations.
Thanks,
Victor
Profile picture of Tom

I think I know what you need, I just need you to double check the weight of your sash. Purple tip balances like yours were only ever used on sashes that weighed over 50 pounds, in most cases. Sometimes even 60 pounds. It's odd that someone would install these on a sash that's only 39 pounds, so I just want to be 100% sure before we go any further.

Sorry, for some reason photo was not uploaded. I'll try again. It is 39.0lb.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7D736163-61EF-4FA0-86B1-9C17062C0C34.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you so much! This is a huge help. After a bit of digging, I think I know just what you need.

We can make these balances, but they'll have to be a custom order due to their configuration. I'm going to email you a purchase link and price quote right now for 6, since you said you had 3 windows. If you wanted to adjust that quantity, please let me know here and I would be happy to do so for you.

Finally, this custom balance will be fully compatible with the 17-083 bracket.

Thanks Tom!
I've got your price quote. My last question is how to install your balance with 17-083 bracket. Do you have any video?
Profile picture of Tom

We don't have a video, but it's fairly straight forward. You see that hole in the 17-083? You want to thread the tip of the spiral balance through that after it's installed. Then, you can use a tool like the 75-006 75-005 to snap it in place; the peg on the balance will snap into the curved hook of the 17-083

Other balances require being charged a couple times before installation, but that won't be necessary. The one you're buying comes pre-charged

I apologize for my stupidity (I am doing it the first time).
Correct me if I am wrong:
- I need to install balances on sides of window opening
- I insert sash in window opening and secure it in the very top position
- Through the hole in the 17-083 with tool 75-006 I try to catch the peg on the balance tip
- Thread balance tip through the hole and snap it into the hook
Correct?
Profile picture of Tom

Yes! You are correct. There are only two changes I'd make:

• When I said 75-006 tool before, that was a typo. I meant to type 75-005, which is better suited for this balance. I apologize for the error! That's what I get for having fat fingers.
  • You don't need to thread the tool through the balance to catch the spiral. You will find it easier to thread the spiral tip through that hole by just letting it drop in. You can kinda get the hook in there, but it's not a lot of clearance.

Otherwise, that's the procedure I'd recommend.

Thank you very much!
I have set an order for 3 windows and the tool 75-005.
Regards,
Victor
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, thank you so much! Please let me know if we can be of any help in the future.

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.