Spiral Balance Color Help

A quick learner from Louisiana says:
The tip on my spiral balance doesn't match any listed so I'm not sure which to order. Please help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200217_101838.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

These white colored tips on spiral balances are from older ratings systems, and they're generally not reliable to go by. What I recommend you do is that you obtain the exact weight of your window sash. You can then match that weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each color tip option on the spiral balance shop page. 

A home owner from Florida says:
I ordered the S900-29 3/8", option, yellow-tip.
My old one looked yellow, but perhaps not.
I took a measurement of the old one after the fact and I
think I should have ordered the 5/8" barrel instead.
Yours ( roughly ) 0.389" and mine ( also roughly ) 0.419".
I am attaching photos of yours and mine.
The problem is with the tips. Yours is slightly longer.
I hope I am making sense of all this and perhaps you
will be able to help me.
Thank you,
Robert

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200225_151908.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200225_151913.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200225_152045.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200225_152051.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear the Series 900 did not work out for you. You may view our Return Policy here. Before you order another balance, can you give us the diameter of the plastic tube that surrounds the coil spring you are showing in the photos? That way we can confirm if you indeed need the S600-29. You will need to obtain the exact weight of the window sash to determine the color tip option you need. In regards to the separation between the rivets, may we see the pivot shoe your window is using? That will help us determine the best course of action. Many thanks. 

The window sash weighs 14 pounds, I checked it three times.
I hope the following pictures are of sufficient quality
to be able to make a determination as to what I need.
Note that I used a digital caliper to determin the with of the cylinder, I hope this helps.
Well here goes.
Thank you again,
Robert
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200226_120938.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200226_120958.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200226_121817.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200226_121843.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200226_122806.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Robert. Your caliper reading is still a bit unusual to me, because it's roughly close to 7/16", which would be closer to the diameter of the Series 900. That said, in your photos the older balance does appear thicker to me. The diameter of the Series 600 is 5/8". The issue is with these older spiral balances with white plastic tubes is that the tubes tend to warp and break over time, so getting an accurate diameter reading often is difficult. Do your best, even with measuring tape, to try and see if 5/8" is closer to what you have.

If so, then you'd need an S600-29 with a Red Color Tip option, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 7 through 29 lbs. Let me know what you think.

Out of shear desperation I have ordered two of the 900s
and two of the 600s with the red tip because I am unable to come up with the tube diameter. The whole things depends on the location of the pins ( rivets ) at the end of the spiral spring tip.
Every time I measured, or tried to, the tube diameter I kept getting between 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch.

If neither one of these fit then I guess I will be up the
preveribal creek with out a paddle.

I can only wait now for the delivery of the items.

Thank you for all your help.
It has been much appreciated.

Robert
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Robert. I understand the difficulty here; with these older spiral balances, getting the diameter of those white tubes can be really tricky, especially when they've deteriorated. Let me know how you make out, and if either of these choices still aren't right, we'll keep working with you to find another solution. Thanks again for reaching out. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.