Spiral Balance Installation Suggestions

A home owner from Hanover Park, IL says:
I am replacing the spiral balance for the upper tilt-in window sash. Should the balance hold the window all the way up? Right now the replacement balance lets the upper sash drop about 2 inches if the lower sash is opened. There is only a half screen (lower) and the open upper sash would allow pests to enter. I am afraid to over charge the spiral balance.

Your website is awesome and I found it easy to locate the right parts. Only wish that there was more emphasis (highly recommended) about needing the charging tool. Pliers did not work for this step of the operation. Delayed completing the installation with having to order the tool, but worth the expense and wait.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The balance should keep the window up without any drooping, yes. We find it easier to get to and charge the top sash balance by first removing the bottom sash. With the sash out, check the interlock of both sashes for any debris or bent interlock that might be causing the top sash to drop. If not, give the balance a couple more turns. You should feel the tension building. You don't want to charge it too much; I don't recommend more than 5 turns. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.