Spiral Balance Quote Request

A home owner from USA says:
Spiral series: S303
Spiral length: 40 1/2"
Quantity: 2
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We may be able to supply this balance, but I'd like a few more details before we confirm anything. First, can you tell me what the tip color is? If you don't have a colored tip, please tell me the exact weight of the sash instead. Finally, for the length, can you confirm that you're only measuring the outer tube?

A professional from USA says:
Tip color is white. the entire tube is 40 1/2" long. We are the Maintenance Department for the school district. I'm only measuring the tube. Thanks, Ed Shea
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thanks! Give me a little more time to confirm the availability of this size and I'll get back to you ASAP.

okay thanks
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I ran into a bit of a brick wall. It doesn't seem like the Series 303 was ever made in that size. These weren't really made for use in commercial applications like yours. Can you confirm that this is what you have? If possible, I'd like to see a picture of the balance in question. If it has any markings printed on the tube, I'd especially like to see those.

I already gave you that information
Profile picture of Tom

You have not uploaded any photos to this thread. We will need to see your balances in order to proceed. I would also like you to double check to see if there are any stamps printed on the tube. If there is, then we need to see a picture of that, too.

This is the picture you requested. Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DA71AABB-DD19-4404-8F89-BEBEA550890E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9D3183C0-6402-4DD1-BBED-2F17BBD6DBCA.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. This is pretty much what I was expecting to see. You don't have the Series 303, this is a special type of balance made only for commercial applications.

Which presents another problem: we need to see the stamp printed on the tube that I mentioned. This is an essential detail but your photos do not show it. Am I right to assume that your balance has no such stamp? If so, then we will require the exact weight of your sash, down to the ounce. That's the only other way to determine how this balance needs to be calibrated.

Please let me know if you can get me that information.

No it's not stamped. I do have a precision scale in my office and the balance weighs exactly 1 1/2 pounds. I don't know if that helps?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry for being unclear. We don't need the weight of the balance, we need the weight of the sash. That would be the glass panel that it supports. Knowing how much weight your balances are designed to support will allow us to determined how much weight we need to calibrate the new springs for.

It's important that you're as precise as physically possible. Unlike other balances, which are calibrated to support a general range of weights (like 10 through 15 pounds, for example), your commercial grade balances are calibrated for one specific weight (exactly 23 pounds, for example). In ideal circumstances, the stamp printed on your balance would very simply tell us what that weight is, but since you have no stamp this is our only other option.

We did find out that it's a Traco Window and the dimension is 47 1/2 x 47 1/2 and the top window does not go up and down. There is no other numbers on it. Please let me know if this helps? Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid not. We need to know the exact weight.

Is it possible to contact Traco and give them the information and see if they would know? The other idea is send two balances that you believe that is close so we could try them out? Of course we would pay for them.LOL
Profile picture of Tom

Neither of those options will be possible. Without getting an exact sash weight from you, we will not be able to proceed. There's no way around this step, unfortunately. I can't understate enough how specific the calibration on these balances is. This isn't something we can guess.

Alternatively, my recommendation to you is to look for an identical window in the house that uses the same exact hardware. You can see if those balances still has the stamp printed on the tube. Having that stamp would make this problem go away pretty much immediately.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.