Spiral Balance Repair

A home owner from Seattle, WA says:
Hello Paul from SWISCO,

We recently moved to our current home and I would like to repair a spiral window balance in a aluminum frame, non-tilt 28 inch high (closer to 28 5/16) window.

From your excellent guidance to others, I believe I have determined we need two red-tipped 28inch spiral window balances. What I am struggling to determine is how to free the one currently in place spiral balance. It seems to be attached internally. Its unclear what I need to remove it and what other parts I may need. I am attaching photos in the hopes that it will help to answer my questions.

Specifically, do I need other parts? And what instrument do I need to remove the spiral balance?

thanks so much for your consideration of this question.
Best,
Gwen
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named YdA3Xx_MTGndldsGDokYhs69CDevo1yYJwkGQmt9WV4HRvvUVV
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0ZYviDeBfBDXf1L1q-WbbCUoe5w1Iuc0Mr5PwpGjGMpFHGUxw-
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named p8Xlhwg4OYKhx4eaTV2orpyNfTxiuznRIVI3CEMfBJ0hk1xPgu
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ZXrWWxzuQU1dWfMeDx7Ov1Kllu9UfgdT05zy4vVm4v4ulMwRoH
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named wk_YHeZQsXFx1UA0yj7b2JNPJLOA3wMgivL-ZXB7W3HMwO-L0v
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Gwen. It looks like your balance hooks to the bottom of the sash. I can just about make the hook out in your final picture, clamped to the frame at the very end. The way to disconnect this is to use a tool like our 75-005 (or anything with a hook, really) to hook into a hole that's punched at the very bottom most tip of the spiral rod itself. You can then pull down to unhook the balance and pull it up and out from the top of the sash.

I do have some bad news for you, however, which is that this type of balance is an old, old style. There were several different kinds made but all are discontinued and we no longer sell them. Ultimately, you may want to see if you can get in touch with a local professional who is familiar with these windows who can point you in the right direction, ideally a shop in your neighborhood who still sells them.

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.