Spiral Balance Replacement

A quick learner from says:

Hello, I need to replace two spiral balances in my bedroom window. I have included a picture of a balance from another window. It has a yellow tip, I'm not sure what color I should replace it with. Also I will need the charging tool as well. Thank you so much for the help. Your website is wonderful!

Sincerely

Jodi :)

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ABC8A2E5-9234-4C80-BB30-475D90215816.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0ABE4E5B-FCA3-4B48-A8DB-4C010A2EC4B1.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Jodi. Thanks for the kind words. Could you tell me the length of the outer tube, not including the colored tip? Also, I believe the diameter of the tube is 3/8", but can you try to confirm? I know it's hard with these older plastic tubes, since they're kind of flimsy. Just do the best you can. 

Finally, can we have a closer picture of the color tip? The balance from the other window has a tip that looks like it might be more off-white to me. White tip spiral balances are a bit tricky; in that case, it would honestly be best to place your window sash on a bathroom scale to give us the exact weight. We'll figure it out from there. Thanks. 

A quick learner from Mo says:
Hello again. I've attached two pictures I hope it helps. Looks like the length is around 32 inches. But I'm thinking the width of the tube might be closer to a half inch. I hope that doesn't mean I can't find a replacement. I am a little nervous to take this balance off the window to weigh it as I don't have the tool yet to reinstall it. I hope this all makes sense. I can't thank you enough for all the help. I am very excited to possibly be able to get a replacement balance for my window. It is saving me from buying an entire new one?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7D771391-4442-4DD7-8F60-9F751C636D5B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BF67168E-6488-4D04-BC8C-93F9A99008C9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7A163E65-EDE6-4E0A-B2EC-819A7FF1710A.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Jodi. It's pretty difficult to judge from this picture, but I'm almost certain the diameter has to be 3/8" or 5/8". The issue is that spiral balances with these older plastic tubes can be tricky to measure, since the outer tubes tend to get flimsy over time. Do your best to get an accurate reading; if you want, give me the diameter of the inner core, maybe just above the colored tip; we may be able to determine the correct diameter from that measurement too. 

Finally, I think this actually might be an off-white tip rather than yellow. White tipped spiral balances are a bit tricky, and to be honest it would be best to get the exact weight of your window sash. Simply lower the sash on a bathroom scale. If you're hesitant to remove the sash right now, you can try placing the scale on the sill and gently lowering the sash onto it. Let me know what you find.

Hi! Would you mind giving me a recommendation of which swivel to order with the knowledge we currently know on my window? I don't mind ordering a few different sets as they are inexpensive compared to installing an entire new window :)

Maybe a 32in - 3/8 diam - white spiral??

Profile picture of Bob

Fair enough! If the balances are indeed 32" long, you have two possibilities here: the S900-32 3/8" Spiral Balance and the S600-32 5/8" Spiral Balance. Neither have a white tip option, so I still suggest you still obtain the exact weight of the sash, and then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each color tip option on the shop pages. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bob, I appreciate this service offered by the website. Thank you for your time and your patience with me. I will take the advice offered and do my best to order a matching balance for my window. You have been most helpful!

Sincerely,
Jodi
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Jodi, my pleasure. Let us know if have any other questions, and thanks for reaching out; we appreciate it. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.