Spiral Balance (non-tilt)

A quick learner from Illinois says:
I am looking to replace the spiral balance(s) in our original aluminum windows (circa 1963). The length of the original tube falls between the 1" increments that you offer in the Series 500 balance. The length measurement is 20-3/4"; 1/2" diameter. I am also looking to get your assistance with pairing the sash bracket (see attached photos of original). I cannot precisely match available brackets for replacement. Could you please review the attached photos and provide recommendations for a retrofit.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Tube Diameter.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spiral Balance Length.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bracket Image II.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bracket Image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Tube Length.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We don't sell any spiral balance with a 1/2" diameter, unfortunately. The Series 500 would be our closest at 9/16", but aluminum windows don't give you a lot of space for variance. I would triple check that detail just to be sure.

In terms of length, you can round up to the next inch. In your case 21" should be fine.

Finally, for the bottom bracket I would recommend the 17-012. Depending on hole placement it may be necessary to drill a new hole, but hopefully they line up.

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Tom, thank you for your review and feedback. Yes, the tolerances where the balance fits in the window are tight, but we have checked and feel comfortable that the Series 500 at 9/16" diameter should work. Regarding the 17-012 bracket; that bracket has (3) holes for fastening to the sash. I am assuming that these are placed in common locations for retrofit and yes, I am hoping one will align with the original location on the sash. With that said, the original bracket was secured with one fastener only. If I am fortunate and one of the new bracket holes align with the original location would I need to drill and tap another to secure the new bracket with a minimum of two fasteners? Essentially, does the manufacturer recommend that the bracket be secured by a minimum number of fasteners or would one suffice?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Not at all, as long as at least one of the holes in the 17-012 match up with the hole in your sash then you will be fine just using that. Like you suggested, the extra holes were put in to accommodate many potential hole placements that are common on older windows. One screw should be perfectly fine.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.