Spiral Balances - Which color tip? Were my springs too weak?

A home owner from Washington, DC says:

The bottom tilt sash measures 30" H x 29" W and is too heavy to me to remove to weigh. The current bottom balance measures 29" long, 9/16" wide, and has a RED tip.

All of six of my aluminium windows currently have RED tip balances and all six windows have broken balances, three have broken balances on both the top and bottom sashes. This would suggest that RED tip balances are not strong enough to support the weight of the sash.

Without being able to weigh the sash, What color tip should I use?

Do you carry channel covers? When the balances on the top sash fail, the weight of the sash causes it to fall with such force that it crushes the channel cover. The bottom channel covers measure 6" H x 1-1/2" W, and are white.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's possible that your original balances were too weak for your sash, but without knowing the actual weight of that sash there's no way to tell. There are a lot of different reasons why the original balances ended up failing and a weak spring is only one of many. 

How long did the original balances work for? These are made to last around 10 years, depending on frequency of use. If they worked fine for about that time frame then it's more likely that they failed due to age. You could confidently stick with the Red Tip option in that scenario.

Ultimately, there's only one way to be 100% sure and that's to weigh your sash. Why guess? It's always better to be safe than sorry.

As for balance covers, I'm afraid that we are not able to supply these. I apologize for the inconvenience.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.