Spiral Spring Window Parts

A home owner from Georgia says:
The home was built in 1998 or 99. Original windows and parts. Some windows are not able to stay open any longer without wooden props supporting them. I don't know if that means the springs need to be replaced or tightened.

Your tutorial videos are very helpful in understanding alot. But, I was wondering if you could help me determine the correct replacement parts I need based on these 4 photos. The windows are all 5ft openings.

Thank you for the guidance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2929.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2930.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2931.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2932.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You could try charging your balances first, to see if you can give them some of their tension back. You can use our 75-006 tool. If you don't feel tension build after about three turns, then you probably need new balances.

Since these are tilt windows, the spiral balances will be either our Series 900 (3/8" diameter tube) or Series 600 (5/8" diameter tube). I'm not sure if you also needed that pivot shoe. It looks to be in good condition. If you did want a new one, though, then I'll need a photo of it out of the window. I'll also need to know its width and thickness.

Let me know if you had any questions.

Thank you Tom.

Long delay in responding ... but now back on the window project. We measured the spiral balance tubes and determined that they are 3/8" tubes BUT there are NO color tips. What do you advise?

RE: Pivot shoes. I have attached photos as requested to make sure we get the correct model number for what we need.

Really impressed with the help provided here and the videos that instruct so clearly. Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5140.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5141.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5143.jpg
Oh. And the tubes are 29 inches long.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello again! Thank you for your kind words. We certainly try our best.

Your shoe looks like a good match for our 15-045, which just so happens to be a common pairing with our Series 900. I think this is a good choice for your project.

As for the balance tip color, since yours doesn't have one you'll need to weigh your sash on a scale to know which one to go with. We have a chart on the S900-29 store page that tells you exactly how much weight each option supports.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.