Spiral Window Balance Cap,

A home owner from 32909 says:
What dos this do...? I don't think my windows have these... where would they be located on the spiral balance? My balances have a piece of plastic on the outside.. will the metal one be ok to replace them?
Thanks Jerry
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm actually not sure what it is you're referring to. Are you looking at a specific SWISCO part? If so, what is the product code?
A home owner from Spiral Window Balance Cap says:
Yes.. it's 19-014
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, thanks for clarifying. The 19-014 is a nylon cap for a 3/8" tube balance to give the balance a clean finish. We are also told it may help keep out dust, though to a limited extent. It's not necessary for the balance to function.
A quick learner from 19-014 says:
So for my understanding, this is pushed into the top of the balance rod so you don't have to try to turn the spiral rod until the screw will fit through the rod. Am I correct? B/C my old rod had a hole just for that reason. When I received my rods, I thought I got the wrong ones until I tried to spin the sprial piece until the screw could go all the way through the rod. Wouldn't this 19-014 piece make the rod become longer?
spiral balance
Profile picture of Tom
I think I see what you mean. You would install the 19-014 as you screw the balance in at the top, but other than that there isn't much else that goes into it. If you find that it makes installation too difficult, or that it gets in the way too much, you can simply not use it. It's not necessary for the balance to function.
A professional from Austin, Texas says:
The balance cap is used to keep dirt/dust from entering the top of the sash spiral balance. The lubricating grease in the balance is a magnet for dust and will shorten the life of the balance if dust enters the balance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.