Spiral balance?

A home owner from Ponte Vedra Fl says:

The plastic that covers my spiral balances are cracking and breaking.

Mi home products

Series  165 

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I think we can help you replace these Spiral Balances, but I am going to need the length and diameter of the outer tube, not including the end attachment. It may be easier to do this by removing the spiral from the window; that way you can also provide us a photo of any end attachment.  Many thanks.

Can you Please advise how to remove the spiral. It appears that is attached to a string.

Looks like the width is 1/2 inch

Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for the added photos. Sorry, I was not clear earlier--there is no need to remove the spiral itself from the spiral balance. I merely meant spiral balance when I said 'spiral'. Apologies for any confusion.

Now, onto your measurements. This likes the outer tube's length, minus the end attachment, is either 28" or closer to 28-1/2". Could you confirm this, as I see both possibilities in your photos. That will be crucial to determining the right length. The outer tube is unfortunately the part that has mostly crumbled away in your photos, but just measure to the tip as best you can. 

Secondly, spiral balances are either 3/8" or 5/8" in diameter. From your picture it would look like your outer tube is closer to 3/8". But this would be very unlikely; your balance has a black tip, which is found only in thicker, 5/8" spiral balances. Could you double-check this measurement, as best as you can. I know it is difficult, with most of the outer tube crumbling apart, but it's the only way to knowing what you need. Let us know what you find. 

I had my husband measure too and it is 3/8. Also the other measurement is 28 1/2
Profile picture of Bob

Hm, OK thanks for double-checking. I only asked because a 3/8" Spiral Balance has never been made with a black tip. Therefore I don't exactly know what you have, but it seems pretty unusual. Could you give us the precise weight of your window sash? We could then use that precise weight to determined the colored tip you need. Many thanks. 

Of course....what part is that and how do a weigh it?? Or does it say it on the sticker somewhere? Or do I have to take it apart?
Profile picture of Bob

Sorry, let me clarify. So the window sash is the sliding part of your window that holds the glass. The sash is what your spiral balances enable you to open and close. 

Your spiral balances are calibrated to support a very specific weight range that your window sash must fall into. If your replace your balances with ones meant to support a weight heavier than your window sash, it becomes very difficult to open your window; if replace them for ones meant for a weight lighter than your sash, then your window tends to slide open. The calibration has to be just right. For spiral balances, the different calibration options are represented by the different colored tips. 

Unfortunately, the sticker on the window probably isn't going to have this weight. The only thing you can do is get a bathroom scale and weigh the sash. Remove the sash from the rest of the window and place it on the scale. Be precise as possible. Once you have this weight, we will try and narrow down the right spiral balance for you. Thank you for your patience! See the video below for details on removing the sash as well as replacing your old spiral balances.

17.8 pounds
Profile picture of Bob

OK, thank you. Based on the weight and other dimensions you've provided, you should take a look at the S900-29 with a red tip option. The red tip is for a window sash in the weight range of 10 through 22 lbs. Take a look and see what you think.

Looks fine to me....but does the metal have a plastic sheath like mine do? I assume I should replace all of my windows too. If I replace all of them, and I put one in and it is not the right weight...what are my return options? Also is it hard to install the spirals? Thank you so much
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Our balances have metal tubes instead of plastic tubes. The plastic tubes your balance had at one time are the same exact thing as our metal tubes, its just mad of a different material. The metal tubes hold up better and won't crack like yours have.

As for installation, the video Bob linked to explains the exact process you want to follow. I highly recommend watching it, if you haven't already.

You can see our return policy here.

Last question.....do I need the pivot shoe?
Profile picture of Bob

If your original pivot shoe is undamaged, you can reuse it. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.