Spiral balance

A quick learner from Arkansas, USA says:

I have a tilt in 3x5 window which has a lower sash which weighs 17 lbs. The spiral balance has a plastic tube and its length is 29" and a diameter of 7/16". The metal portion extending from the bottom of the tube when fully retracted has an extended length of 1" and has two pins which are 7/16" from center to center. The tip color to the best of my determination is white.

Can you help me to determine the proper spiral balance I need to replace it with?

Bob 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi there- thanks for reaching out to us. 

We aren't aware of any spiral balances that are 7/16" in diameter. Could you confirm that measurement one more time please? The options for a tilt window are typically either 3/8" or 5/8" in thickness. All of the information seems to check out so far other than that. 

Using a pair of calipers, the od of the tube is .437. I'm sure these balances are outdated and that the replacements are somewhat different in configuration. Can you offer a suggestion?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's really hard to say. I've never come across a balance in this size. It's possible your tube has warped from age or sun exposure and its size is not the same as it once was, but I can't be sure.

Ultimately, your only options are a 3/8" and 5/8" balance. There is no in-between. Your diameter is closer to 3/8" than it is to 5/8", so that may be the better option, but I can't imagine how a tube would increase in diameter. It's probably more likely that yours was 5/8" at one point and time and age reduced that.

This is just an educated guess. I cannot guarantee if either size will work. I'd really like to see a photo of your balance out of the window so that we can better get an idea of what you may have had. I'd like a clear picture of the top and bottom, as well as a photo of any shoe or pivot that connects to it.

Here are pictures of each end along with shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. I agree with Tom, this should be either 3/8" or 5/8". Looking at your photo, it appears your balance has a plastic sleeve on it. I don't think that's the actual outer tube built into the balance itself. See if you can slide that sleeve off and measure the tub underneath. 

I went ahead and ordered two red tipped 3/8 balances. They arrived today and are installed and seem to work properly. Thanks for your help.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.