Spiral balance

A contractor from Minnesota says:
I have no clue which model number this might be.

the metal part is 29" long
3/8" wide
Green

The plastic part at the bottom of the sash is destroyed so I have zero clue which one to get.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us. Is this a tilt window? If so, our S900-29 should be a good match.

You also mention a plastic part at the bottom. This could be a pivot shoe, assuming your window is tilt. Unfortunately, there's no way to identify it without using the original as reference. Do you have any other window in the house that might use the same hardware?

Not a tilt

It's in a manufactured home that was built late 70's

I am having a window pro come over tomorrow morning to force the lower sash out so that we can id the shoe.

What are the chances that the balance is still good? Do they go bad or Is it more normal for the shoe to go bad?
Profile picture of Tom

If your window isn't a tilt type, then there won't be a shoe. That's what has me confused. Only tilt windows have plastic shoes like what you describe. Non-tilt windows are generally either old and metal or old and wood, and the balance attaches to the window directly using a metal clip of some sort.

As for whether the shoe or balance broke, I can't really say. Both can go bad, but balances typically fail long before the shoe does. 

The tip of your spiral balance looks like it's for a tilt window. I would check to be sure. You shouldn't need any outside help to get the sash out. Watch the video below to see how we do it.

My bad, upon further education these are tilt windows.

Please see attached for a picture of the things the bottom of the window goes into.

Also any idea where one could find the parts for the bottom of the sash as I have a sash that they have rusted off from.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 400FC2E7-730A-4D95-90EE-07222B967C36.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 40E2442B-1047-4191-8B09-BCE8C951AC32.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0A9E3F23-7494-4028-A95B-2F5ABCE71086.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, thank you! That part is called a pivot shoe. Yours specifically looks like our 15-045. Look over our dimensions and see what you think.

As for the parts at the corner of the sash, those are called pivot bars. They connect the sash to the shoe, and the shoe then connects to the balance. I can't quite tell what you have from this photo, though. The 15-045 is compatible with a bunch of different pivot bars. Do you have one that's still in somewhat good condition? It doesn't have to be perfect, I just need to get a sense of what form it took. One idea that comes to mind immediately is our 26-297. Maybe our 26-041, but it's hard to tell. See what you think!

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.