Spiral balance

A quick learner from Rhode island says:

Hello!

I'm trying to replace a spiral balance because it won't stay in the shoe. It was recommended to me because it won't stay in the shoe, to replace it? Or should I just replace the shoe? I am certain the tip is orange ( not red) so having trouble

Matching which series this matches on your website.

It's 17 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter w a white shoe that just won't keep the balance in place. Was thinking it's the 301 but wanted to make certain if you could pls kindly help me - I would be greatly appreciative!!

Pls can you help my lost soul!! Thank you- Jay

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 908C032B-9DF8-454A-9EB9-898E0576B908.png
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I don't know if you need to replace the balance or shoe. It depends on what's damaged. I recommend carefully examining both parts to determine what the problem is. 

If you do need a spiral balance, then you want the S900-17, based on the dimensions you gave us.

If you need a pivot shoe, then I'll need you to remove it from the window and show me a picture of it without obfuscation. I also need to know how thick it is.

Hello Tom, thank you for your correspondence!

I know you mentioned to remove the shoe, but I could not get it out with the tool that we had in our tool kit. We're trying to save from dropping the big $ on buying the window spreader, so we were trying to cut.

I have since bought new scissors i am hoping i can cut it out on next visit.

I have limited access to the window and wondering, if there are two different thicknesses - is it possible I could buy both. the thickness we attempted to measure was about 0.5 inches. It would be easier for us to buy both sizes if ther are 2 close to that measurement - than - getting back into the window (long story - sorry - not your problem :).Thanks again, and hoping I can isolate the shoe with this photo and limited info. Best, Jay

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-0207.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

There are more than just two sizes of pivot shoes. There are a ton, really. You can see our complete selection here to get an idea of what your options are.

Hello!
I am ready to place my order of spiral balance S900, but i wanted to double check - would you call this RED (faded/ orange), or yellow ?Just wanting to obtain your recommendation prior to placing the order.
Thanks again!
Jay
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-2654.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yep, that's definitely red. Orange-looking tips are typically just red-tipped balances that have just aged over time. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.