Spiral balance replacement

A quick learner from Virginia says:
Do I try the 18 or 19"?

Solid metal tube until 11.5" and disappears into a metal spiral (tube). 3/8" and Length is 18 1/2". Red tip
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190416_181026.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190416_181332.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Measure the entire outer tube up to but not including the colored tip. That will give you the exact length. Sometimes this measurement comes in a X-1/2"; if so, just round up to the next whole number. The balance should work just fine. If the diameter is 3/8", then this is a Series 900 with a Red Tip option.

A quick learner from Virginia says:
Thanks Bob! Any idea why mine looks so different? Why the metal tube goes into what looks like a winding metal coil.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

My pleasure! Yours is just an older version. Ours goes into a winding metal coil too, but it's covered by a metal outer tube. The only difference between your balance and our balance is the material they used to make that outer tube. They stopped using plastic because it would break apart like yours. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.