Spiral balance replacement

A quick learner from Stratford, CT says:

Hello,

Both counterbalances for the photographed window are broken and I'd like to get them replaced.

Please let me know if these photos are sufficient for identification.

The plastic tubes are 28 5/8" by 5/8" and the sash weights 10.5 lbs.

The metal pieces that attach the balances to the bottom of the sash are broken, as well.

Thanks,

Bill 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220112_120440.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220112_120547.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220112_120740.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220112_120804.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220112_125016.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Bill.

Since your tube is 28-5/8" long, I would play it safe and go up to 29". Take a look at our 5/8" diameter S500-29 spiral balance for non-tilt windows and see if this matches what you need. Your bracket is too damaged to identify, however. Can you show us an undamaged version removed from the sash?

Thank you!

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your response. So, it looks like I should get the S500-29 with the red tip since my sash is 10.5 lbs - yes?

I'm concerned about removing an unbroken bracket from a sash because I'm afraid I might not be able to get it back on. If it's absolutely necessary, I'm willing to give it a try.

But, I'm hoping the attached photos of an in tact bracket attached to a sash will suffice.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Bill
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220115_154836.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220115_155015.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Yes; your sash weight is 10.5 pounds and our red tip option supports a sash weighing 7 to 29 lbs so this will be fine. It's still hard to say from this picture but the 17-012 mounting bracket is often used with the Series 500. Compare our dimensions to an undamaged bracket to see if this matches up. 

Hi Emily,

Thanks again for following up. I don't see any dimensions listed on the Bracket #32 page, but my brackets are 2.5" long by about 0.5" high. Is that about the same as the #32s?

Also, when I install the new balances, is the process to attach the balances to the tops of the channels on the window frame and the brackets to the bottoms of the sash first then once those are in place attach the brackets to the balances?

Thanks,

Bill
Profile picture of Emily

There's detailed dimensions on the 17-012 store page but I will post them down below for your convenience. 

Dimensions for 17-012
Dimensions for 17-012
Additional dimensions for 17-012
Additional dimensions for 17-012

We actually have a blog post on replacing non-tilt spiral balances, which you can see here; this will walk you through the process step-by-step. Let me know if this helps or if you had any other questions 
OK. Thanks, Emily. I'm placing my order now for the # 32 brackets, S500-29 balances and charging tool, which I'm assuming I need from reading the installation blog post.

Thank you for all your help.

Best,

Bill
Hi Emily,

I'm going to be attempting to install my new spiral balances shorty. In reviewing the instructions in the blog post you referred me to, it says to use the charging tool to turn the spiral 2-3 times to the "appropriate tension." How do I determine what the appropriate tension is? Trial and error?

Thanks,

Bill
Profile picture of Emily

You just have feel it out, but you definitely shouldn't go past 4 turns, however. I hope this helps, Bill. Good luck with the repair and let us know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks for your patience, Emily! Perhaps I'm not such a quick learner after all, but once I successfully completed this operation, I'll order more replacement parts for my other windows.

Best,

Bill
Profile picture of Emily

No problem, Bill! I know how confusing (and often times intimidating) this type of hardware can be! We truly appreciate your business and will be here to help! 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.