Spiral balance spring

A quick learner from Ny says:
1have two broken windows, both are the lower.
one measures 30x261/2. The other is 34x281/2.
I need left and right assembly for both windows.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm pretty sure we can help, but before we make a recommendation can you just show me a picture of your pivot shoe? We can use that to determine what you need. Also check to see if there's a stamp on your old springs, you will need that.
A quick learner from New York says:
I looked at the broken spring for a number. I didn't see any numbers on the spring or the plastic holder. I have included the pictures you requested. If this is not enough info I can remove a working window and maybe find a number or get a picture that will help you. I can weigh the window with a digital scale if that will help you. I have at least 2 windows not working. They are slightly different in size. If we can locate parts I will replace all the springs in all windows. They are all getting old
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for the additional photos. The pivot shoe looks like a match for our 15-180, while the coil springs housing looks like our 18-181. I would presume they also use the 18-182 bushings. For the springs, I recommend our Series 190 balances. You'll need to weigh your sash to determine the best option, though.
A quick learner from New York says:
One sash 33" wide 27" high 19 lbs

Other sash 30" wide 27" high. 15.5 lbs

Can you also check to see if you have the Metal piece that is attached to the bottom of the sash that slides into the notch of the pivot Shoe

Chris
Profile picture of Tom
Assuming both windows use two springs on each side (four altogether), I would recommend S190-540 for the 19 pound sash (5 pounds per spring) and our S190-440 for the 15.5 pound sash (4 pounds per spring).

The other part you describe is known as the pivot bar. We may have something, but we'd need to see a picture of yours out of the sash. Knowing its measurements would also help, particularly the hole placement.
A quick learner from NY says:
Thank you very much for your help. I will order the parts and get back to you with results.
Chris
A quick learner from NY says:
I placed an order for all the parts you suggested. I did not see the 4 S190-440 springs. This was probably an error on my part. You have all my info, do I need to place a second order?

Chris
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Chris. I'm afraid your first order already shipped. You will need to place a second one, yes.
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.