Spiral balances don't work

A quick learner from Florida says:

I bought a set of eight S900-26's. They don't hold up the sash.

I put a charge in them as I saw on your video. They don't stay up. When I put the old balances back in, they work but they make the same noise that made me want new balances.

I did notice that the spiral on the old balance twists the opposite way, compared to my swisco balances.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named jember 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Jember 3.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I don't think you have the Series 900 balance. This has an outer tube diameter of 9/16", but looking at your balance the inside spring is larger than 3/8". This means the outer tube, which appears to have broken off, is probably 5/8". I think our Series 600 is a better option for your window.

A handy person from Florida says:
There is a plastic cover over the old balance I think that is bought separately
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Just looking at the raw spring on your old balance, my suspicion is that there was originally an outer plastic layer on the balance, but it would likely not have been a separate part; it's usually just the outer skin of the balance that covers the wound tube you can see. Our balances have an outer metal layer.

Sometimes, though, there actually is a separate balance cover. We can't supply anything like that, since usually the manufacturer would be the one to choose which cover to use. It's not needed for the function of the balance, though. I hope that helps.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.