Spiral balance(s) and tilt latch

A home owner from Kingston Ontario says:
I am looking for replacement spiral balance(s) and a tilt latch. This all started because the window was heavy to lift. It's 15 years old and I can't remember if it was ever easy. I borrowed a tool to tighten the one side and while trying to do that the whole spring let go and unwound. Made multiple attempts to rewind. No success. Took it out. One shop said it was OK. One said it was broken. Put it back in again but still can't get the spring to tighten. What a piece of junk hardware! Anyway putting it back together I broke the tilt latch.

So I need replacement spring balances. They are 30" long and from what I can see on line "red tip" and a tilt latch.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191007_105536.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191007_105614.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191007_105625.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Spiral balances have a lifespan of about 15 years, so it sounds like yours are on their last leg. If they aren't totally worn out already then I don't expect they'll last much longer.

The good news is, they're very easy to replace. In your case, you either have our S900-30 or S600-30, depending on the diameter of the tube. Look them over and see what you think. The video below may also be helpful for you.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.